Chapter 16

---

The boy from District 4 died before he could pull out the spear. (M/N)'s arrow drove deeply into the centre of his neck. He fell to his knees and halved the brief remainder of his life by yanking out the arrow, effectively drowning in his own blood.

(M/N) quickly reloaded his bow and scanned the area for any other tributes. When he concluded that there weren't any, he put his arrow away and ran to Wendy.

She had curled up on her side around the spear. (M/N) shoved the boy away from her and pulled out his knife, freeing her from the net.

He took one look at her wound and knew it was far beyond his healing capabilities. Beyond anyone's, probably. The spearhead was buried up to the shaft in her stomach. (M/N) crouched in front of her, staring helplessly at the embedded weapon. There was no point in using comforting words, in telling her she'd be alright. She wasn't stupid.

She reached her hand out, and (M/N) clung to it like a lifeline. As if he was the one dying instead of Wendy.

"You blew up the food?" she whispered.

"Every last bit," (M/N) said.

She took a pained breath before continuing. "You have to win."

"I'm going to. I'll win for both of us now," he promised. A cannon went off and he looked up. It was probably for the boy from District 1.

"Don't go." Wendy tightened her grip on (M/N)'s hand.

"Course not. I'm staying right here," he said with a sad smile. He moved closer to her, pulling her head onto his lap. He gently brushed his hands across her dark blue hair.

"Sing," she whispered, almost too quiet for him to hear.

Sing? (M/N) thought. Sing what? He knew a few songs. In fact, his house was once full of music as well. Music he helped create. His father pulled him in with that remarkable voice, but (M/N) hadn't sung much since his death. Except when Eri was really sick, then he'd sing her the same songs she liked as a baby.

Sing. His throat was tight. But if it was Eri's - no, Wendy's request, then he at least had to try.

The song that came from him was a simple lullaby, one that he had sung to Eri countless times, the one he had sung to her the morning of the Reaping. It was old, very old. Made up long ago in their small town. But the words were easy and soothing. Promising tomorrow would be more hopeful than the horrible time they called today.

(M/N) swallowed hard, and begun:

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow

A bed of grass, a soft green pillow

Lay down your head, and close your eyes

And when they open, the sun will rise."

He took a moment to calm himself as his vision blurred.

"Here it's safe, here it's warm

Here the daisies guard you from every harm

Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true

Here is the place where I love you."

Wendy's eyes had fluttered shut. Her chest void of any movement. Nothing stopped the tears from flowing freely at that point as they slid down his cheeks.

Everything was still and quiet. Then, almost eerily, the mockingjays took up on his song.

For a moment, (M/N) sat there, watching his tears drop onto Wendy's face. Her cannon fired. He leaned forward and pressed his lips against her temple. Slowly, as if not to wake her, he laid her head back down on the ground and released her hand.