Chapter 10

---

"Go on, then, lover boy," said the boy from District 2. "See for yourself."

(M/N) caught a glimpse of Katsuki, lit by a torch, heading back to the girl by the fire. His face was swollen with bruises, there was a bloody bandage on one arm, and he seemed to be limping. (M/N) remembered him shaking his head, telling him not to go into the fight for the supplies, when all along, all along he'd planned to throw himself into the fight. Exactly the opposite of what Shota told him to do.

(M/N) could accept that, since seeing all those supplies was tempting. But this... this was a whole different thing. Teaming up with the Career pack to hunt down the rest of them. No one from District 12 would think of doing such a thing. Career tributes are vicious, arrogant, well fed, but only because they're the Capitol's lapdogs. Universally hated by all except those from their own Districts. He could only imagine the things they were saying about Katsuki back home, and he had the audacity to talk to (M/N) about disgrace?

Obviously, the boy on the rooftop was just playing another game with (M/N). But this would be his last. (M/N) would eagerly watch the night skies for signs of his death, if he didn't kill the blonde first himself.

The Career tributes were silent until he was out of earshot, then began to use hushed voices.

"Why don't we just kill him now and get it over with?"

"Let him tag along. What's the harm? And he's handy with that knife."

Is he now? That's news. What a lot of interesting things I'm learning about my friend Katsuki today, (M/N) thought to himself with quite a bitter tone.

"Besides, he's our best chance of finding him."

It took (M/N) a moment to register that they were referring to him.

"Why? You think he bought into that sappy romance stuff?"

"He might have. Seemed pretty simple-minded enough to me. Everytime I think about him during the interview, I want to puke."

I'll show you simple-minded, asshole.

"Wish we knew how he got that eleven."

"Bet you lover boy knows."

The sound of Katsuki returning silenced them.

"Was she dead?" The boy from District 2 asked.

"No. But she is now," Katsuki said. Just then, a cannon fired. "Ready to move on?"

The Career pack set off at a run just as dawn began to break, and birdsong filled the air. (M/N) needed to get down, to get going, but for a moment he stayed there, digesting what he'd just heard. Not only was Katsuki with the Careers, but he was helping them find him too. The "simple-minded" boy who had to be taken seriously because of his eleven. Because he could use a bow and arrow. Which Katsuki knew better than anyone.

But he hadn't told them yet. Was he saving that information because he knew it was all that was keeping him alive? Was he still pretending to be in love with (M/N) for the audience? What was going on in his head?

Suddenly the birds fell silent. High above the dying campfire a hovercraft materialised. A large set of metal teeth dropped. Slowly, the dead tribute was lifted into the hovercraft, and then it vanished. The birds resumed their song.

(M/N) wiggled out of his sleeping bag, rolled it up, and placed it in his backpack. While he'd been concealed by darkness and the sleeping bag and the branches, (M/N) knew it would've been difficult for the cameras to get a good shot on him. But they would probably start tracking him now. The minute he hit the ground, he was guaranteed a close-up.