Christmas Special

Ik this is like the worst spot to put this but I haven't finished the next chapter and I wanted this out in time for christmas so yeah.

This chapter is set two years before the current time (so (M/N), Shoto, and Katsuki are 15)

Anyways, enjoy :)

---

His eyes locked onto the space in front of him, his fingers gently tugging on the bow string as he brought it back to his face, situating an arrow against it. He let out a cold breath as he dug the soles of his shoes into the snow to make sure he didn't slip. He released the string, sending the arrow flying.

"I got another one!" (M/N) exclaimed happily.

Shoto looked over at the overly happy boy as he freed a rabbit from one of the snares he had set up, "See? This is a Christmas miracle if I do say so myself."

(M/N) playfully rolled his eyes in response. "Yeah right, we just got really lucky."

For years, the two boys had been at odds over the subject of Christmas miracles, and whether they really existed. Shoto had brought them up a few Christmases ago after his father properly sat him down and apologised for being a shitty parent, also confessing his guilt for giving Shoto the burn that adorned the left side of his face. Shoto was originally freaked out, he had hated his father for years, and now he suddenly decided to apologise and promise to be a better dad?

He eventually came to terms with what had happened, and deemed it to be a Christmas miracle, like the ones he had read about when he was young. (M/N) was very confused with the whole situation, and even more confused with Shoto's deductions. Though Shoto said that was the only possible answer for something that had so greatly improved his family's relationship, especially when the source was from someone who Shoto had thought to be the biggest asshole on the planet. Since then, every Christmas, Shoto would point out every piece of good fortune that came their way, whether they were out hunting or bargaining deals for goods at the market.

But no matter what he would say, (M/N) always denied Shoto's conversations about miracles. It eventually came to a point where they were just doing it out of habit, rather than trying to convince the other that miracles do or don't exist. They didn't mind though, it gave them something to smile about every Christmas, being able to playfully butt heads over something, and forget all the horrors in their lives for just a day.

"Lucky? It's been snowing for weeks, normally we barely find any game during the winter months, only a Christmas miracle could warrant us finding this many turkeys," Shoto countered, speaking as if he was an expert on this topic.

"That sounds even more unrealistic than just chalking it up to dumb luck," (M/N) said as he put the fifth turkey he'd killed into the giant bag he'd brought with him.

"Either way, I think we should head back now, my family is having a special dinner and I've gotta help prepare it," Shoto stated.

(M/N) hummed in response, "Yeah I guess we should, this is plenty of food anyway, I can't wait to see the look on Eri's face tonight when I serve dinner."

The two continued chatting about various topics until they reached the fenceline and prepared to head their separate ways.

"Oh! Before I forget, here," (M/N) pulled out a framed photo and handed it to Shoto.

Shoto took the photo and inspected it closely, only to realise that it was a picture of him and (M/N) together from a few months ago. In the picture Shoto was smiling as bright as he could at (M/N), who was sitting in the river laughing, after he had slipped and fallen in. Shoto's family had saved up enough money to pay for a photographer to come and take some pictures of them together. They were heading down to the valley next to the markets, when Shoto had noticed (M/N) walking by, so he alerted the other of his presence and (M/N) decided to walk with him for some company, since he had finished running the errands he had left his house for in the first place.