Chapter 25

---

The anthem boomed in (M/N)'s ears as Toshinori greeted the audience. The crowd broke into an applause as the prep teams were presented. Then Emi was introduced. (M/N) didn't know how long she'd have waited for that moment. He hoped she enjoyed it though, because as misguided as Emi was, she had a very keen instinct about certain things and had to at least suspect the two boys were in trouble.

Rumi and Keigo received huge cheers, unsurprisingly. They'd been brilliant and had a dazzling debut. (M/N) now understood Keigo's choice for his outfit. He'd need to look as innocent and harmless as possible.

Shota's appearance brought on a round of cheering that went on for at least five minutes. He'd accomplished a first. Keeping not only one but two tributes alive. (M/N) wondered what would have happened had his mentor not warned him in time. He doubted he would've flaunted the moment with the berries in the Capitol's face, but he wouldn't be as cautious as he was going to be now. Right at that moment specifically, because he could feel the metal plate lifting him up to the stage.

Blinding lights. The deafening roar rattled the metal under (M/N)'s feet. He could see Katsuki a few metres away. He looked so clean and healthy and beautiful, (M/N) could hardly recognise him. But the look he gave (M/N) was the same whether in mud or in the Capitol.

(M/N) took about three steps and flung himself into the blonde's arms. Katsuki staggered back, almost losing his balance, which was when (M/N) noticed the slim, metal contraption in his hand, acting as a cane. Katsuki righted himself and the two just clung to each other while the audience went ballistic. He was kissing (M/N) but the whole time (M/N) was just wondering if Katsuki knew how much danger they were in.

After a few minutes, Toshinori tapped Katsuki's shoulder to continue the show, but said boy just pushed him aside without even glancing at him. The audience got even louder and (M/N) realised that whether Katsuki did or didn't know, he was, as usual, playing the crowd exactly right.

Finally, Shota interrupted the two and gave them a good natured shove towards the victor's chair. It was usually a single chair from which the winning tribute watched a film of the highlights of the Games, but since there were two victors this time, the Gamemakers provided a plush red velvet couch. (M/N) sat so close to Katsuki he was practically on his lap, but one look from Shota told him it wasn't enough, so he moved closer to the blonde and rested his head against his shoulder. Katsuki's arm went around (M/N) automatically, and (M/N) felt like he was back in the cave, curled up against him, trying to keep warm.

Katsuki's shirt was made out of the same yellow material as (M/N)'s outfit, but Rumi had put him in long black trousers and a pair of sturdy black boots that kept him solidly planted on the stage. (M/N) wished Keigo had given him a similar outfit; he felt so vulnerable in what he was wearing. But I guess that's the point.

Toshinori made a few more jokes, and then it was time to start the show. It would last for around three hours and was required viewing for all of Panem. As the lights dimmed and the seal appeared on screen, (M/N) realised he wasn't prepared to watch twenty-two tributes die. He saw enough of them die the first time.

His heart started to pound and he had a strong impulse to run. How the other victors had faced this alone was beyond (M/N). During the highlights, they would periodically show the winner's reaction up on a box in the corner of the screen. (M/N) thought back to previous years, some were triumphant, pumping their fists in the air, beating their chests. Most just seemed stunned. The only thing keeping (M/N) on the couch was Katsuki - his arm around his shoulder, his other hand claimed by both of (M/N)'s. The other victors also didn't have the Capitol looking for a way to destroy them.