Chapter 7

---

Betrayal. That's the first thing (M/N) felt. Which didn't even make sense since to have betrayal, you'd need trust. Between (M/N) and Katsuki, trust was never a part of the agreement. They were tributes. But the boy who took a beating to give (M/N) bread, the one who reassured (M/N) in the chariot, who insisted Shota knew his hunting skills... was there some part of him that couldn't help trusting Katsuki?

On the other hand, (M/N) was also relieved. He didn't need to keep up that facade anymore. Whatever small connection they had made was gone, not that (M/N) cared. The games would start in two days. Trust and friendship would mean nothing in the arena. (M/N) suspected that his high score had something to do with Katsuki's decision. Maybe he finally accepted the fact that the sooner they openly acknowledgd that they were enemies, the better.

"Good," (M/N) said, "So what's the schedule?"

"You'll each spend four hours with Emi for presentation, and four hours with me for content. You'll start with Emi," Shota said.

(M/N) didn't know what she could be teaching him that would require four hours, but she had him working down to the very last minute. She has him going over sitting, posture, eye contact, hand gestures, and smiling. She made him say a hundred different things while smiling, starting with a smile, and ending with a smile. By the time they finished, (M/N)'s cheeks were extremely sore.

"Well, that's the best I can do," Emi said with a sigh. "Just remember (M/N), you want the audience to like you."

"And you don't think they will?" He asked.

"Not if you're glaring at them the whole time. Save that for the arena. Why don't you pretend you're among your friends."

"They're betting on how long I'll live!" (M/N) shouted. "They aren't my friends!"

"Well try and pretend!" Emi snapped, before recomposing herself and giving off a bright smile. "See? I'm smiling at you even though you're irritating me."

"Very convincing."

~

After lunch, it was (M/N)'s turn for his session with Shota. On his way to the sitting room, where the said male was currently situated, he passed Katsuki- who didn't give (M/N) so much as a glance as he left to go meet Emi. (M/N) just stared at the boy's back with a disgusted expression as he walked away. It was very obvious that he was purposely trying to avoid (M/N). 

Why do I care if he ignores me? It's better this way, he can go die in the arena for all I care. (M/N) knew he didn't mean that. There was some part of him that cared about Katsuki, no matter how small those feelings may have been.

Once he made it to the sitting room, Shota just stared at him for a while. It was making (M/N) very uncomfortable.

"What? Why are you staring at me?" He asked defensively.

"I'm just trying to figure out what to do with you, how we're going to present you," Shota responded. "Are you going to be charming? Fierce? So far, you're shining like a star. You volunteered for your sister at the reaping. Keigo made you look unforgettable. You got the top training score. People are intrigued, but no one knows who you are. How you present yourself tomorrow will be the deciding factor of what I can get you in terms of sponsors."

(M/N) knew what he meant. He'd watched the tribute interviews every year. If people liked the way you presented yourself, you could gain yourself a hefty amount of sponsors.

"Well what's Katsuki's approach? Or am I not allowed to ask," (M/N) said with a somewhat snappy tone, he was still confused about his feelings towards the boy. Whether he should feel angry or happy with the way things have turned out. Shota noticed this but chose to ignore it.