Chapter 5

---

The elevator doors open into an enormous gymnasium filled with various weapons and obstacle courses. Looking around the room, (M/N) could see all the tributes were gathered in a semi-circle. Once the two boys joined everyone else, a tall woman- the head trainer, stepped up and began to explain the training schedule. Experts in each skill would remain at their stations. The tributes were free to travel from area to area as they chose. Some of the stations teach survival skills, others teach fighting techniques. They were forbidden to engage in any combative exercise with another tribute. There were assistants on standby if they wanted to practice with a partner.

When the woman began reading out the list of the skill stations, (M/N) let his eyes scan over other tributes. It was the first time they were all assembled together, on level ground, in simple clothes. The first person to catch his eye was a little girl from District 11. She had chocolate brown eyes and long blue hair that was tied into pigtails, she looked to be no older than 12 years old. (M/N) didn't know how anyone with a heart would be able to kill her. Continuing his analysis, (M/N)'s heart sank when he realised almost all the boys and half the girls were bigger than him, though he could see that most of them haven't been fed properly. So even if he wasn't as tall, he was definitely healthier than many of them. This raised his confidence a bit, until he remembered the career tributes- those being the tributes from Districts 1 to 4. They lived fairly wealthy lives compared to the other Districts, although it was still nowhere near as extravagant as life in the Capitol. It was technically against the rules for tributes to be trained before they reach the Capitol, but it still happened every year. 

(M/N) suddenly felt very uncomfortable. His performance in the opening ceremony had obviously angered a lot of the tributes, they were jealous of him and Katsuki. Not because they were amazing, but because their stylists were.

He would occasionally catch the other tributes giving them dirty looks, but what really stood out was the boy from District 1- who was giving (M/N) a death stare. This made him feel even more out of place. He tried not to let his discomfort show, but once he got a good look at the said boy, his eyes widened.

He's huge! The boy was bigger than every tribute except the boy from District 11, who was just taller than him. His muscles were so big it looked like his shirt was about to rip apart. He had short blond spiked hair and piercing blue eyes. Once he realised (M/N) was looking at him, he smirked. (M/N) quickly looked away. Shit. It's my first time seeing the other tributes properly and one who I'd assume to be the most deadly already wants to kill me (M/N) thought. He could literally feel the blonde's killing intent drilling into his skull.

When the woman let them go, the careers all went for the deadliest looking weapons- handling them with ease. No surprise there. (M/N) felt someone nudge his arm, turning to his side he could see Katsuki looking at him with a blank expression.

"Where do you want to start?" He asked, reminding (M/N) of Shota's instructions to stay together. (M/N) scanned the room once more, seeing the career tributes blatantly showing off, trying to intimidate the field. Then the other tributes, those being the underfed who looked like they'd never touched a knife in their life. He returned his gaze to Katsuki.

"I guess we should tie some knots," (M/N) said. The two headed over to the empty station, (M/N) got the feeling that the knot-tying class wasn't the Hunger Games hot spot. Once the trainer realised (M/N) knew a few things about snares, he showed the boys a simple but effective trap that would leave a victim dangling by their leg from a tree. They focused on that one skill for about an hour until they mastered it. (M/N) asked Katsuki where they should go next since he chose first, to which the boy almost immediately responded with camouflage.