All Around Me

I helped bring her stuff into her apartment, and made a quick escape giving some bullshit reason to leave. I took the stairwell on a single gulp of air, then basically sprinted the hallway to my home on the exhale. I slammed the door shut, sliding down to the floor against it. There was a loud pounding in my ears, making the edges of my vision pulse red. I slapped my hands to my face, then slowly ran my fingers into my hair.

I barely knew this woman in front of me, but I have long known and caressed her soul for two of her lifetimes. I knew every nook and cranny of her, her fierceness, independence, gentleness, everything that made her, I knew it.

I thought it was impossible to meet your soulmate three times. I always argued that Reincarnation wasn’t real. I didn’t dabble in subjects like Religion. I know I didn’t believe, I wanted facts and answers, not deity’s and prayer. After the meeting her again for the second time, I was conflicted again with the whole religion thing.

But with this knowledge of her future health problem, I felt this overwhelming sadness wash over me. It proved to me that my blood-bond was meant to die again, and again, and again.

All she does is leave me. I wanted to change that.

-

I was looking through my closet for an outfit. I’ve never been to a housewarming party in this generation. Clubs with loud thumping music and darkness was where I felt like I fit in. And I usually only go out to feed. But going to a party for simple gestures such as celebrating one moving into a temporary home; the concept was beyond me.

An ache had settled in my chest, reminding me that Tegan was in danger of falling ill. And there was nothing I could do.

A sigh heaved its way out of my throat as I grabbed some shirts from the rack. I hated how I found her, lurking in the woods, hunting another girl. The other times when I stumbled upon her, it was when a big festival was going on. When I wasn’t in midst of a hunt. It seemed that the relationship went like how I met her.

The first time, I was with the teenage pack members, strolling through the old country. Laughing and talking when her scent asphyxiated me, stopping me in my tracks. I was much younger then, only a few centuries after calendars became a thing.

Putting on the clothes without much thought, I was distracted by the memories bombarding me. The wistful sigh puffing out on my lips matched the abrupt turn of my thoughts. Although I was happy and excited to have her back, the concern and worry for her inevitable death weighed heavy on me.

The terse ring of my phone startled me, a first for me. Reaching into my back pocket, I stared at the name. Speak of the devil, and the devil shall appear. “Hello, Tegan.” A fire spread throughout me, fueling the demented butterflies within me.

“Sara! Where are you? Party is started!” A thunderous pain rolled through my abdomen, while shocks licked up my spine. A small gasp broke past my lips as I turned to sit on the bed.

The beast made itself known, it was close to the surface, one small mistake and I could ruin everything. I felt the anger it caused in me, the burning touch it left behind. I felt I was a prisoner to it, never free of the constant pain.

“I um..I’m not feeling too well. I’m sorry but I won’t be able to attend your party. But I have to say that you must keep the noise level low. I don’t want any complaints in the morning.” I heard a door close, the chatter was smothered and her breathing echoed.

“Are you okay? What’s wrong?” The concern in her husky voice twisted my insides with guilt. A laugh slowly creeped up my throat, I had no idea how to react to this.

I heard the elevator sound as it slid open, “Don’t worry over me, I can take care of myself. Enjoy your party.” I quickly ended the call and threw my phone across the room. She was coming up here, I thought it was sweet, we barely knew each other, but the magnetic pull that was between us was definitely something we couldn’t ignore.

And I probably would’ve been upset and sad, if she hadn’t come up.

The door clicked open, and she shuffled quietly in. I was standing in my bedroom, watching her through the crack. Her eyes were all over the place glancing at the shadows that moved with the traffic 3 floors below. A small smile danced across my lips as she went back to the door. She opened it, I was expecting her to leave, but instead she slammed it shut. “Hey, it’s Tegan. Um, Sara? The door was unlocked.” A nervous laugh met the empty space.

I opened the door and walked into the living room, “You have a party to host, and you’re here in my home.”

Sitting on the couch, I raised a curious brow at her. “Yeah, I just wanted to see how you were. You don’t look sick or anything.” Accusation was heavy in her voice.

“No, I know. Sorry, parties aren’t really my thing. Especially with my tenants.”

She scoffed, “You seemed pretty into it while we were shopping. What’s really wrong, Sara?” she sat down, a warm hand touched my leg. Her heat radiated into me, causing spasms to roll through me.

I looked down, biting my lip, “I barely know you this time.” It came out above a whisper. I was acting like a pup, all dejected and pouty about meeting my blood-bond. Only more so this time because I was sure of the outcome. She was destined to die and I was destined to heartbreak. “You should honestly get back to your party.” I shifted so her hand was still in the air.

She stood as anger emitted from her. “Fine. But tomorrow I’m going to be here and we’re going to talk. You barely know me this time? What the fuck does that mean?” In a few quick strides, she jerked the door opened. My beast snarled at this display. A wicked pleasure throbbed in me.

“See you later, Sara.”