Disconcerting

A loud growl escaped my lips as I pushed my way through the brush. My claws dug into the soil with renewed strength and almost helplessness. Tears burned the back of my eyes as confusion swelled up and kept air out of my aching lungs. I was running rampant after everything seemed to get swallowed into a massive hole.

‘Sara, we need to know where you are. I need to know where you are. I couldn’t care less about your banishment, I want my daughter back.’ Her voice was sad and worried. I was eons away from any physical contact of the pack.

And it’s what I get for crossing the alpha. My father.

I ran straight into a gully, the sharp drop off flung my body forward and directly into the opposite side. I knocked my head into the damp soil, then slid into the small creek flowing east. Everything was quiet and only my rough and shallow breathing could be heard.

My heated feet ached for some rest, my lungs begged for air, and my dry throat wanted large gulps of cold water.

I decided to shift back and find my way to a home.

I stood  and shook my fur out and rolled my shoulders. Shifting into wolf fur was painful, but not as painful as shifting into skin. Everything was like a thousand needle tips jabbing you when something foreign touched you. It felt like you were dropped into a bathtub made out of dry ice.

Snapping and groans filled the air. I coughed as blood gushed into my mouth, my organs shifting into place, some shrinking and others growing. My jaw locked as teeth fell out like bullet shells flying out a gun. Smooth skin replaced coarse fur, short dark brown hair replaced pointed ears, and hazel eyes replaced glowing yellow ones.

I was face down, my nose buried comfortably into the crook of my elbow, and my belly smothered in mud. I sighed as I tried to stand.

I slipped onto my side and sleep dominated me.

---

I was walking through the town rather hurriedly. I scanned the businesses and faces that passed by. White hot anger surged through my veins as I followed an all too familiar scent.

Humans were rather smart in a way. They knew not to mess with wolf kind, but probably had no real reason to back it up. We wore danger like a perfume, any species with a functioning brain would avoid us too. But i guess part of me hated that they stayed away.

I craved intimacy, I looked for it in every passing being. The few who dared advance on me, stayed alive until I felt satisfied. Then my hunger took over and they were never heard from ever again. I preferred women, men were just large meals I needed from time to time.

Pushing the door to a hotel open, I discreetly sniffed out a nomad. Seated in the middle of the room, his dark grey eyes playfully gazed into mine. I let out a sigh as I strode over to him.

“Lauren.” My voice was tight with annoyance. First the link is restored, then a nomad shows up in my territory. What next, I’m no longer banished?

“Sara, dear. It’s so nice to see your ugly mug again. How long has it been? 400, 500 years? Could’ve been longer.” His voice was light, but not teasing. His neck was riddled in teeth marks. My teeth marks.

“You clearly passed through a marker of mine, infringing on another’s turf could get you killed. If I wasn’t so curious as to why you were here,” extending my hand to him, he flinched harshly. Smirking, I pinched his shirt between my fingers, “Why you here, Lauren?” my voice came out a whisper, fear seeped out of him.

He cleared his throat and stood, “Your mother sent me, she figured I knew where to find you. I’ve been looking for the past month. You picked one hell of a spot, big city like Montreal.” He pulled out a black envelope. The white wax bared my family’s monogram. I yanked it out of his hands and stuffed it in my coat.

Motioning to the door, I gave him a puzzled look. “You were leaving.” I turned to give him room. He took a long look at me then briskly made his way outside.

Before closing the door and without turning to me. “Also, your father sends his regards.” His voice loud and demanding attention from everyone in the room. Faces turned to me and the background chatter ceased.