Family Issues

The black envelope was out of place on my glass coffee table. I had my legs folded up underneath me as I just stared at it. The seal wasn’t broken, a slight crinkle down the side of it. And after handling it, I knew it was a small piece of paper.

I was having an internal battle about opening it. If I did, what was the worst it could say? Actually, there’s a lot of terrible stuff it could say. But the worst could be that my father wants my head.

My father had restrictions on the entire pack. A lot of them were due in response to my behaviour growing up. I wasn’t rebellious or attention-seeking, I just gave him a hard time. Being the second child of his, he wanted me to lead a quiet life. His first born was a boy, who only lived for a short period of time. My brothers face was crystal clear in my mind. Sometimes I really hated my memory.

I rested my head on the back of the couch, releasing the tension in my arms. My meal from last night wasn’t as satisfying as I was hoping it would be. And I knew my future feedings would also be the same, with that Tegan woman in my building. She was causing a huge quake in me just by being in the same building as me. And all of my preparations would be all for not if she stayed long enough for her to get to know me.

But I knew I would crumble at her feet the moment she turned her full attention to me. I hate knowing the depth my weakness for this woman already was, I hate knowing I would turn into a small eager pup if she so wished it. I wouldn’t call it Love, so much as it was my feral side wanting something from her. But love, I would be the biggest idiot in my world to fall for a human.

A loud laugh broke the silence in my apartment, a couple passing by tore me from my reverie. The mail slot flipped open and a heavy envelope plopped onto the ground. Sitting up, I decided to get some work down, seeing as more payments were coming this week.

-

It’s been a few days since I had last seen Tegan, she was moving into her apartment, but staying at a nearby hotel. I reluctantly offered my help but she denied rather quickly. Not that I was happy about not helping. But I would rather stay away from her.

Everything about her physically was driving my beast into a blood frenzy. I felt the need to feed every night, the burn not only scorching my throat but my chest as well. I felt winded after a brief word with her, exhausted after a visit. My beast threatened to tear free and sink my fangs into her soft flesh. Never have I ever felt so weak for a simple human.

I needed to get my mind and body back in order. I needed control over my territory and everybody in it.

Growling as I stood up, I stretched and walked towards the large picture window, the cloudy day added a sharp bite in me. Usually I love these kind of days, the misty forest runs cheered me up more than a few bottles of wine could ever. But with this nuisance hanging over my head, living a floor below me. Anything that made me happy, fueled this ugly fire in me.

And I wanted nothing more than to get to know her better.