I'll Keep You Safe

My breathing was labored, the cold air caressed my skin, my eyes locked on the smitten couple veering off the trail. My muscles tense and jaws watering, the smell of them lingered in my nose, making me see red.

God I was thirsty.

Ava was whining behind me, anxious to kill. I haven't given my order, and in wolf form she had no choice but to obey me. I lowered myself and watched as they laughed and danced their way into the thick bushes of the tree lining. Ava nudged my back leg, I immediately turned on her, a deafening snarl ripped it way out my throat. She reared up and tried to hold me back, her pushes were weak against my thirst driven strength.

Teeth snapped, growls and grunts filled the air, then a sickening snap of her arm stopped us. All I saw was red.

She whined lowly, her belly presented to me the best she could. I let go and walked away.

'Follow when you can.'

'Jesus Sara. What the-'

I stopped and straightened my shoulders. The simple act made her quiet down her protests. I followed the couples scent again, our fight had not notified them.

I quite liked how we were connected to the moon, the light of it fueling our desires. Our history is more related to that of Greek mythology. In the beginning there was only Chaos, then Erebus appeared and with it night and everything associated with night came, then somehow Love appeared and light and day came with it. After everything was created. The same void that Chaos was in, collided with something of Erebus and my father was born. The man that the Gods had created were no match for him, for he was half creature and half man. So they begged the night Goddess, Selene, to take him and make him hers. The goddess not being afraid of anything, did and she forced him to choose a form to take. Already being stubborn and hard headed. He ripped off his tail, bit off his claws, and cut his arm and created my mother. Him being a man and her being a wolf. The goddess gave him the power to transform himself as well.

But the price in return was that they had to live for all eternity and devote themselves in praise of her. And that was the moon curse. Live forever and give praise to a deity no one else believed in.

But throughout the years, most of my kind forgot that, and they believed in the religions the humans created.

Giving praise now to Selene was the last thing on my mind, it was more of my blood-bond.

Walking with pride and feeling powerful, I let loose a howl. I only howl for the one I will love.

-

I woke up near one of my cabins, after the first hunt I blacked out and my wolf took control. At least she had the common sense to take us somewhere where it was familiar to me. And I'm also glad it wasn't the cabin where I buried the guards from my father's pack.

I always hated how the moon heat affected me when I found her, usually I could resist the urge to hunt. But when she was back in my life it made everything go to hell. The longer I held off getting with her, the heavier the burden of the urges became.

I got into the cabin with the hidden key, my naked body was sore and streaked with dirt and dried blood. Which seemed to be a reoccurring look for me.

Hopping into the shower, I tried to get my mind off everything that was going on around Tegan. Her heart was my main priority. Helping her figure out that it was an impending problem for her, was a little more than difficult than I had originally thought.

Rubbing the lukewarm water into my dirt encrusted hair, I felt the knots loosen in my back as the tangles also loosened. I shouldn't be as stressed as I am, not after hunting like this.

I wondered how many people I killed last night...

Feeling suddenly asphyxiated, I stumbled out of the shower and hurried my way to the small window above the toilet. Forcing it open I breathed the forest air in deeply, trying to keep myself calm.

The scent that was on the breeze hit me like a wall. My eyes shot open and I scanned the thick tree line behind my house. Someone passed a marker of mine and seemed too comfortable doing so. I wanted to call Ava and see if she could do a quick perimeter check but I was sure she wasn't home yet.

Staggering away from the window, I blindly turned off the shower and went to find some clothes.

-

"Check the south end first,"

"I thought you were up there this morning, why didn't you check?"

Groaning, I held back the urge to roll my eyes. "Because I headed up to the north, the wind was blowing from that way. Check the south end then sweep up towards the west."

The air crackled on her end, her sigh soft, "Why are we worrying about this? I mean, if the wolf smelt your-"

"Because I care about my fucking territory being trespassed on. Now, do it." Hitting the end button angrily, I clutched the thin piece of plastic tightly in my hand. I squeezed hard, but not enough to break it. "Fuck!" I kicked at nothing as the realization hit.

Mikael was back, and for what? Did he only leave to tell my father I was still alive? Sitting down in defeat, I rested my head in my hands, the thoughts tumbling through my mind. Everything went back to my father, the fucking Alpha.

My phone started ringing, but it wasn't Ava. Glancing at the caller ID I frowned but answered it. "Tegan?"

A rush of air, "Yeah, hey Sara."

I waited for more but all I heard was her breathing echoing off walls. "Is...everything okay?"

"No, I'm stranded in a place I don't know. Lindsey left me." A growl worked its way up my throat.

"Can you tell me anything like a landmark near you? I'll come find you." She sighed heavily.

"I'm in a basement bathroom, I got worried and my phone is about to die. I...didn't know who else to call."

I stood, gathering my coat and keys. Stopping mid-step, I made my way back to the kitchen and grabbed a water bottle for her. "It's fine, I was just thinking of you. Actually."

A soft groan vibrated my eardrum, "I'm like so sorry for slapping you. I mean, I'm not but at the same time it's like...I don't know...I liked it." Her voice got quieter, almost mumbled.

A smile spread across my face. "I'm sort of sorry for forcing myself onto you. It was completely immature of me."

"Yeah, yeah its fine. But...I did see a sign that said something about Phillips Square? Or something? I don't know, Sare. I'm so turned around right now. There's a lot of fucking French around me, it's so annoying." Her voice became more distressed, I could hear the tears building up.

"Its okay, Bunny, I'll come get you. Just go stand outside in like 20 minutes and listen for me calling your name. Okay?"

I heard her sniffling, "Yeah. Okay, see you soon." Click.

I took the stairs in one leap it felt, the air filling my lungs so easily. Although my blood-bond was sad and hurting, I felt happy that she felt she could turn to me after what happened. It was a simple kiss, but not asking for her consent was almost a deal breaker.

The phone vibrated in my pocket, bringing it out to see the text. My sudden carefree mood turned to a confused one as soon as the words registered in my mind.

'It's not Mikael like u thot, my alpha...'