XXXII. I Miss You

(song: somewhere only we know [cover] by max schneider & elizabeth gillies)

listen to the song while you read for the full effect! and ignore the guy talking at the end of the video sorry about that haha xx

...

It's been over a week since Harry and I have spoken. I still feel so uncomfortable with what happened. But it might be all in my head. It's just taken so long to comprehend the fact that we used to be practically enemies back when we were kids. But that's the thing, we were kids. Like Steve had said, that is irrelevant to the present.

All week long Steve has been bugging me to talk to Harry. I can't find it in myself to build up the courage to. Every time I find a reason to talk to him, I find another reason not to. Every day I wonder if he's thinking the same, or if maybe he just forgot about me. This whole revelation has made me insecure. Harry used to think I was so annoying as a child, and I'm scared that maybe he can now spot those annoying characteristics in my current personality, causing him to avoid me in genuine distaste. Perhaps I give him too much credit for being a changed man.

But if he has grown the way I believe he has, then maybe he's going through exactly what I am, and not purposely avoiding anything to do with me.

I get up from my spot on the couch where I sat, staring out of the window. The clouds were gray and everything looked so gloomy, amplifying my depressed mood. I decided to go out for a walk despite the impending rain that was indubitably going to fall soon.

I had no destination for my walk. I kept mindlessly strolling down the sidewalk, accompanied by an empty street. Soon after I started to feel light raindrops on my skin. I stopped in my tracks, looking up at the darkening sky. I sighed and continued walking. A little rain wouldn't hurt.

Before I knew it, I appeared at the entrance of the park I knew so well. The rain started to descend from the clouds quicker. Ahead of me on the other end of the small park, I noticed the silhouette of a boy that I recognized at first glance. His face became more clear as we both inched closer to each other, the pouring rain starting to drench us in water.

The emotions I felt at that moment were overwhelming. I hadn't realized how long this week had been. How lonely I felt. How interminable the days lasted while I thought only about Harry. And now he stood in front of me, quickening his pace to reach me as I did the same. We walked faster and faster, then jogged, and eventually ran towards each other until I finally jumped into his warm embrace. I wrapped my legs around his torso and hugged him tightly, wishing that I never even let go in the first place. There was an unspoken apology between us, along with an unspoken forgiveness. In that moment, we both knew that we were acting ridiculously the past few days, and regretted every second that we spent not speaking with each other. I pulled my head back slightly to lean my forehead onto his. The rain had drenched us both in water, continuously dripping onto our skin. I couldn't tell if the wet streaks on my cheeks were from the rain or my own tears, but I didn't care. Almost in a rush, I pressed my lips onto his. He kissed me back with the same force. Our kiss was passionate, making up for the absence of him in my life for the last week spent without him. I had never felt such yearning for someone before.

Harry pulled away from the kiss too soon, and leaned his forehead back onto mine again.

"I'm so sorry," he apologized.

"No, I am," I replied, "I completely overreacted."

"I could say the same," he smiled.

"Harry?"

"Yes, my love?"

"I'm cold," I laughed slightly, shivering at the same time.

"Let's go," he said, still holding me as we walked to Steve's house since it was the closest.

When we arrived, hand in hand and soaked in water, Steve stared at us with wide eyes.

"You're back together! Finally!" He practically screamed. Harry and I laughed.

"I'm gonna go get some towels," I said and walked away to the bathroom to get some dry towels. I brought them back to the living room, handing one to Harry and proceeding to dry myself.

"Babe you should change out of those clothes so you don't get sick," Harry said. I agreed and went back to my room, and came back to find Harry dry and in Steve's clothes.

"Sorry about that trail of water," Harry chuckled and looked at the floor where we had left behind a puddle of water.

"I don't even care, man, I'm just happy you two are back together," he smiled and squeezed himself onto the couch between us, putting his arms around us. It was then that I realized that I finally was truly happy, with my best friend and my boyfriend, and no one else to hold me back.

*****

two chapters left + an epilogue! I can't believe this story is almost over omg. I hope you guys are enjoying it, don't forget to vote/comment/share! :) xx