XXI. Halloween

(song: knee socks by arctic monkeys)

I put on some baggy sweatpants along with a tank top and a sweatshirt as I get ready for Halloween today. Steve agreed to pick me up when he's ready so we can go to Harry's house together. I didn't bother with makeup, considering we would probably be there for a long portion of the day--and probably night--and the lights would be off anyway.

Just when I finished getting ready, Steve rang the doorbell. I shoved my phone into my pocket and stepped outside.

Steve wasn't on the porch, which confused me. His car was in the driveway so it couldn't have been a pesky kid playing ding dong ditch. I took a step closer to the stairs and looked around for Steve.

"Boo!" He shouted and jumped up from beside the railing.

I shouted loudly and nearly fell backwards, grabbing onto the railing opposite of Steve. He walked around and up the stairs, laughing and clutching his stomach.

"Oh that was so good! You should've seen your face!"

"Fuck you," I mumbled and shoved his chest, trying to catch my breath.

Steve continued laughing at me as we walked to the car, and I eventually laughed with him. We backed out of the driveway and left for Harry's house.

"So how serious are things between you and Harry right now?" Steve asked and wriggled his eyebrows. I laughed.

"Um, I don't really know. We both really like each other but we've only been on a couple dates."

"You guys are exclusive though, right?"

"Yeah," I answered quickly. "Well, I mean, yeah, right? I don't know, how are you supposed to tell if it's exclusive?"

"Well if you haven't talked about it, which is a pretty good way to tell it's exclusive, then I don't know, if he like introduces you to the parents then I'd say you guys are serious," Steve glances at me. I nod my head slowly as I take in what he said. Is Harry ever going to introduce me to his parents? Oh my gosh, does that mean he has to meet mine?

"Why don't you invite Harry to dinner with your parents?" Steve suggests. I turn to face him with wide eyes.

"Are you kidding? I don't want him to meet my parents! They'll scare him off! Oh my God they don't even know I'm dating him," I drift off and blankly stare ahead of me.

"All right, it was just a suggestion. But, uh, you should probably tell your parents you're dating someone."

"I don't want to though!" I whine. "Besides, if I move out soon--which I will--I'm never even going to contact them again, so they don't have to know about my current love life."

"Okay," Steve laughs. We drop the subject and talk about today instead. He tells me he bought a shitload of snacks and drinks for us, and sure enough, when I look in the backseat there are at least five grocery bags filled with snacks.

When we arrive at Harry's house it's nearly three o'clock. Steve refuses to let me help him with the snacks, saying he can do it himself. Men, I mentally scoff.

Harry opens the front door after Steve obnoxiously rings it multiple times. He glares at Steve when he doesn't stop ringing the bell, even after Harry answered the door. As Harry stares at Steve, Steve keeps his eyes on the doorbell. I stand in the middle of all of this and try so hard not to laugh.

"Steve," I try to get his attention, "Steve stop--no, look up," I push his hand down and he moves his gaze to the doorway where Harry still glares at him, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Oh," Steve clears his throat awkwardly. "Sorry man," he gives a small smile and Harry just turns to me, clearly annoyed by Steve. I'm still trying not to laugh, which is proving to be a very difficult task.