chapter twenty four

It took some people longer than others to recover. Dream, for example, reverted back to his violent ways almost immediately, whereas Wilbur spent days upon days mourning in bed. Two weeks after, Tommy dueled Dream and lost. Tommy then traded his most prized possessions, the discs, for L'Manburg's freedom, but it wasn't the same without Y/N. Everyone missed the light she brought into their lives, but over time things got better. They were able to find a new light: their freedom. Wilbur led the country dutifully with Tommy by his side, and they even gained two new members: Jack Manifold and Niki.

Most days followed the same pattern, but as Wilbur was walking to his office in the morning he noticed a figure walking towards L'Manburg from the hill outside the walls. The figure had a very distinct walk, one that was so familiar- but no, it couldn't be. She was dead, and wasn't coming back. Wilbur rubbed his eyes before quickly approaching his office and moving on without second thought.

An hour or so later, Wilbur could hear shouting from the gate. It sounded like Tommy, which wasn't unusual, but his tone had Wilbur heading over his way to see what was wrong almost immediately.

As he neared Tommy, he blinked harshly. Was he seeing things? Why the fuck was Y/n standing in front of Tommy? Wilbur continued to rub his eyes and pull on his hair slightly to see if he was dreaming, and to his confusion Y/n still stood just a few feet away.

Y/n noticed Wilbur's presence and discarded her conversation with Tommy to run over to Wilbur. She wrapped her arms around his torso as he did the same, but her arms went straight through his body as she stumbled to the ground behind his back.

"Wilbur!" The girl says, seemingly ignoring what had just happened.

Wilbur paused for a moment before responding, "Y/n? How is this possible?"

"I think I'm a ghost or something," she replied with a shrug of her shoulders as she inspected her hands. As she mentioned this, Wilbur noticed that she was drastically paler than the last time he had seen her, and the way the sun hit her caused her to be slightly opaque.

"But- how are you a ghost? How are you here?" He asked.

"I have no idea," she spoke.

"What's the last thing you remember?" Wilbur said.

She opened her mouth to respond but promptly shut it, saying "I have no fucking clue. I remember- I remember- uh," she stuttered slightly, before her eyes lit up at a thought. "Oh! I remember Tommy putting a frog in Eret's water glass that one time!"

Wilbur and Tommy shared a glance, and Tommy was next to speak. "Y/n, that was months ago."

"Oh," she said, although she didn't seem very bother by the statement.

Nearby, Dream found himself walking towards L'manburg to see what the fuck Tommy was yelling about. Sapnap had recently finished off their stash of meat, so Dream was stalking his pray in the woods until Tommy's loud-ass voice scared the deer off.

With a shake of his head, he opened his mouth to shout at Tommy, but his jaw dropped wide open at the sight he was met with.

There, just 20 or so feet away from him, stood Y/n.