chapter twenty five

hey guys! next few chapters will be short and updates will be scarce, but i'm so excited to start writing again :) 

There was no way. She had died- Dream had seen her body with his own eyes- yet here she was, standing in L'manburg. The more he looked the more confused he got. She seemed to be floating just a few inches above the ground; her bare feet were pointed slightly and didn't reach the dirt below. She also appeared to be slightly translucent. At first glance she could be completely human, but with the sun hitting her body just right he could almost see right through her. 

The logical side of his brain was fighting against it, but he knew: Y/n was back. Sapnap and George both tried to grab onto his arms to hold him back, but neither one could stop him as he sprinted full-speed to where she stood. Well, floated, as her feet were a few inches above the ground.

"What the fuck?" Dream asked once he had calmed down. His arms were released, and he crossed them over his chest.

Y/n was staring at him with wide eyes the entire encounter, while Tommy and Wilbur both held a glare. Y/n turned her her head to her brother, making eye contact, before looking back.

"How are you here?" He asked again, demanding an answer.

"She's not really here, Big D," Tommy said while rolling his eyes.

"The fuck does that mean? She's literally standing right next to you," Dream replied.

"She's a ghost," Wilbur said, providing a better explanation. Dream's eyebrows furrowed, causing Wilbur to continue. "I'm not sure how it's possible, so don't ask me that, but she's translucent, floating above the ground, and back from the dead, so it's a fairly simple conclusion to reach." Wilbur's words were slightly defensive, as he didn't want Dream insinuating that he was insane.

"Y/n?" Dream asked, speaking to her directly for the first time in months. 

The girl stared at him in confusion before speaking cautiously, "How do you know my name?"

Dream's eyes widened. No, it wasn't possible- was it? Did she really not know who he was?

Wilbur noted the strange interaction and spoke up. "Her memory is, well, not great. She seems to remember parts of the war and L'manburg's founding, along with certain people and moments, but that's about it," he explained.

"What the fuck? How did this even happen?" Dream questioned. Wilbur shrugged his shoulders in response.

It was in that moment that a thought clicked. It was time to bring back an old friend with some important knowledge, and an even more important book.