C17 - One Year Later.

• M i l a n a' s POV •

It's been a year and the memories of what happened hasn't faded away. We sold our house, and we now live in a little bungalow. Nobody wanted to help us because my father had wronged them in the past when he was wealthy.

My grandma passed away due to a terrible illness, we couldn't raise enough money for her treatment. She died right in my arms. Her last words were 'Fight against the world, don't let people look down on you. Be brave and-', she couldn't complete her sentence before she sadly died.

Lyndsey now attends a public boarding school to complete her high school education. My dad became a drunkard, he comes home late or sometimes doesn't come home. My mom had to cope with all these, I was her shoulder to cry on. Everything fell apart.

I got a job at a company as a secretary and I earned a meagre salary. My mom couldn't help, she was too weak to work. I became the breadwinner of my family with the little I earn every month.

All thanks to Nathan, my family went through a lot. Phoebe was now married and I was still there, not wanting to ever fall in love. She was happy in her marriage and she sometimes helped us in the little way she can, she never left me, she had always stood by me through all these tough times even though she had miscarriages twice, she was still the strong, determined Phoebe I knew.

There was one time that people made fun of us and we were the news headlines. ''The Wesley's have gone bankrupt'. It was on every news channel and newspaper. The social media carried our problems like it was theirs. The shame and disgrace hurted us a lot.

• N a t h a n' s POV •

After I left the city that day, I started to feel guilty. I felt Milana's absence. The regret of my actions in the last one year stayed etched into my mind. When I went back to Skyeville, it haunted me more. It was too late, I already sent her that dumb letter.

As soon as I understood reality, I wanted to transfer back all her family's properties but I gave it a second thought, Milana would never forgive me just by merely returning her properties back. I deceived her and I lost her love already.

I started giving out charity and I owned three charity organizations. I learnt that money and fame isn't the only thing that could make you happy, you needed love to make your life a better one. I also realized that no amount of money or status could replace the love Milana shared with me.

I wished I could tell her that my heart had been softened, I repented and I became a better person. I never did bad things again. I turned into depressed fellow and I resorted to heavy drinking.

I met Lexi at a bar. I told her all my problems in my drunken state. She then introduced me to her sister, Jordyn who was a psychotherapist. Lexi was such a good friend to me, she helped me a lot by stopping my excessive drinking, her sister's therapies helped me overcome my depression slowly but I still couldn't forget Milana.

Even though Milana and I lived in the same city, we never crossed paths. Even if we did, I didn't have the courage to apologize or talk to her, I'm sure she completely hates me and never wants to speak to me again.

I lived a whole year of guilt and contrition. I may have been with Milana just for a month, but she still had a big place in my heart. No one or nothing could ever replace her. She's one of a kind. I don't know why I realized all these after my wrongdoings.

This has taught me never to be evil to anyone. I became friendly to my workers and they appreciated this new me. I actualized that it's better being loved than being feared. All my employees loved and respected me so much, we made good yields and they always did the right thing even without me telling them. I was no longer the misanthropic and inhumane Nathan Reynolds, I was now humane and benevolent, very bighearted and always bright even though I was hurting in my heart. I was slowly eaten up by guilt but doing good things mended me up a bit.

Love now mattered to me, but I only wanted to get it from Milana and no one else. Every day, I hoped that Milana would come back to me, I hoped that I'll run into her again and try to make things right.

I really don't know the condition she is in right now. She must be really upset with me. I think about her and her feelings daily. I even inscribed a tattoo of Milana's name on my collarbone, so she would really be close to my heart. I wanted her back. I needed her with me. I cherished our special moments.

Whenever I was confused or didn't know what to do, I always place my hand on my collarbone, where her name was inscribed, then I find answers to my questions. My troubles get resolved. 

I wished I could turn times back to make things right.