Shifting Sands

"We honor those who died so we might live," Octavia spoke to her followers as they crowded around the fire in the middle of the desert. When the sun had set, Wonkru had stopped their journey to Shallow Valley to get some rest for the night. "Omon gon oson." 

Everybody repeated the phrase as they passed around small slivers of rations. Clove chewed slowly and stared into the fire until she noticed Clarke heading into her tent. She quickly shoved the rest of the ration in her mouth and followed the blonde. "Clarke."

The girl turned around and sent a weak smile. "Clove. Do you need something?" 

"No. Just wanted to talk," Clove shrugged. Clarke nodded and waited for her to continue. "Oh, right. Well... Octavia got us through these last few years but before it was her, it was you making the hard decisions. I don't think I ever respected you enough for that. Until I saw up close what it took to save your people." 

"I just did what I had to do." 

"I know," Clove agreed. "That didn't make it any less difficult... Anyway, I just wanted to say that I'm glad you made it out here." 

Clarke gave her another half smile. "I'm glad you-" The two girls were cut off by screams for help outside the tent and they locked eyes. "I'll grab the med kit." 

Clove nodded and rushed outside to scope out the situation. Miller was running towards them with Obika slung over his shoulder. "Help! We need help! It's Obika!" He shouted. When he got closer to their camp, he dropped Obika onto the ground with a thud. "I don't know what's wrong." 

Clarke pushed through the crowd. "Out of my way. I can help him." 

As Cooper and Octavia decided whether or not they should let Clarke near Obika, Clove stepped towards Miller. "Hey, you good?" She asked in a hushed voice, not able to look away from Obika who was writhing all over the ground in pain. 

"Yes. Yeah, I'm fine," Miller panted. Clove grabbed his shoulder to steady him as he caught his breath. 

When Cooper finally let Clarke pass, she knelt down next to Obika. "He's alive but his heart's racing."

"What the hell happened out there?" Octavia looked to Miller.

"We seperated to cover more ground. Then I hear him screaming out that they're everywhere," He shook his head. "Then I get to him and there's nothing. It's just more screaming and--"

Everybody gasped as a lump rose from inside Obika's stomach. "There's something inside of him," Clarke breathed out. 

"Hurry! Get him in the tent," Miller urged. Cooper and him picked up Obika, who had fallen unconscious, and rushed him into the tent. Clarke, Bellamy, Indra, and Octavia followed. 

"Clove, guard the tent. Nobody comes in," Octavia commanded. Clove nodded and take a place outside the entrance to the tent. She heard bits and pieces of the muffle conversation inside, but couldn't make out too much of it. "We march at first light," Clove finally heard Octavia a bit clearer. "If Obika isn't better by then, I'll end his  pain myself." 

When Octavia stepped out of the tent, she gave Clove a nod so she continued guarding the tent. Clove noticed Indra, Cooper, and Miller leave as well, which only left Bellamy and Clarke in there tending to Obika. Clove got the chills as she stared into the wall of darkness beyond them, wondering what was waiting for them out there. 

"What's that?" Somebody in the crowd questioned. 

"Something's coming!" Another person yelled. 

Clove furrowed her eyebrows. She stayed at her post, but took a step forward to peer around a few bodies. In the distance, large beige clouds rolled over the barren desert. Bright flashes of lighting illuminated the clouds and everybody watched in a mix of awe and fear. Once again, Clove couldn't hear what was happening at the front of the crowd, until Octavia turned and spoke to her people. "We have no choice. We keep moving."