Inclement Weather

Clove sat directly across from Eugene, Octavia's head in her lap

Clove sat directly across from Eugene, Octavia's head in her lap. Clove was absentmindedly stroking Octavia's hair, her fingers getting caught a few times, as she counted the leaves on the trees.

"Did you hear that?" Eugene whispered, catching the girl's attention. He stood up and held up the sword Lincoln had left for them. "It came from the south."

Clove listened intently and heard some rustling in the bushes. She nodded and pointed to the sound. Eugene held his sword out, ready to attack. "Who's there?" He called out.

A gruff man with black markings on his face stepped forward, eyeing the teenagers. "I was sent by Lincoln to save the girl. I'm a healer."

"Was he taken?" Clove asked, though she already knew the answer. The man let out a single nod and got to work mixing things. She sighed heavily and looked up to the sky.

Octavia began stirring and Clove looked down at the girl, holding a calming hand on her jaw. Octavia's heavy eyelids blinked slowly, taking in her surroundings. When she saw the grounder, she began thrashing as much as she could to get away. "Hey, Octavia, hey. Calm down!"

"Where's Lincoln?" She inquired as the grounder man loomed over her.

He leaned down, holding a tin to her mouth, a violet liquid sloshing around inside. "Drink."

"Octavia, calm. Down."

She looked up at Clove, then took a drink before spitting it out, her eyes like steel as she glared at the grounder.

"Drink or die. Your choice," He offered. Moments after, she gave in and drank the contents. "All of it."

Clove nodded and sighed. "How many times did I have to say it?" She muttered, still messing with Octavia's stringy locks until she drifted off to sleep.

"So..." Eugene voiced, clearing his throat. "You're a friend of Lincoln's?"

"Yes. My name is Nyko."

"Well, I'm Clove," She gestured her head towards the boy. "That's my buddy, Eugene. We have a rough history... and last couple of hours, but we're cool for now."

"Oh my god," Eugene groaned. "Do you ever shut up? He did not need to know that."

"They have Lincoln. When the girl is awake, you'll need to get as far as you can, as fast as you can," Nyko interrupted their bickering. "They'll come for you next."

Eugene glanced to Clove with a look on his face and she nodded grimly. Gently, she removed Octavia's lap and set in on a patch of moss. "Come help me up."

He furrowed his eyebrows but pulled her up, allowing Clove to lean on him support. "What exactly are you doing?"

"Building up my stamina, Eunice," Clove patted his shoulder, grunting as she steadied herself, getting ready to let go of Eugene. "I need to be ready to run."