chapter 27

─── ・ 。゚☆:

─── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ───

After school Lucy drove home and got ready to hang out with Billy.

Lucy knocked on the door in the secret knock and no one answered. She waited a minute and then knocked again. This time the door swung open with El looking a little nervous.

"What were you doing? You didn't answer the door?" Lucy asked, walking in and closing the door and locking it behind her.

"Nothing," El said quickly. "I wasn't doing anything."

"Okay... so why are you acting weird then?" Lucy said, putting her bag in her room, El following. "I won't tell Hopper."

"I want to know who my mama is."

"What!?" Lucy said, quickly spinning back around to look at Eleven.

"I want to see her."

"El, that's dangerous. You can't go out there, especially not alone."

"I want to see her, Lucy."

"We can go see her together," Lucy offered, taking her shirt off and replacing it with a more comfortable one.

"Now?" El asked.

"Have you visited her in your mind like we've been practicing?" Lucy questioned, avoiding answering her. "Can she hear you yet?"

"I- I don't know."

"I was supposed to go to Billy's tonight but I can stay here if you want me to."

"No, it's okay," El said. "I'll stay here."

It sort of made Lucy sad to leave Eleven here alone but she told her to go. Lucy really did want to take her to see her mom but she wasn't sure that would fly with warden Hopper.

"I'm not sure when Hopper will be back, but you'll stay here right?" Lucy asked, one foot out the door.

"Yes," El said from the couch. Friends don't lie... but sisters do.

─── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ───

"Of course your room would look like this," Lucy scoffed, walking in and looking at everything.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Billy smiled, closing the door.

"Nothing, nothing. It's just this is exactly what I expected from you," Lucy said, looking back at Billy. "Playboy on the walls, rock music, strong cologne, and cigarettes."

"Sorry I'm so predictable."

"It's not that... I like it," Lucy said, sitting down on his bed.

"Really? I wouldn't take you for a Playboy fan but then again..."

"Funny. It's not the Playboy I'm into, you listen to some good music. I mean it's no 'Uptown Girl' but..."

"You listen to Billy Joel?" Billy laughed. "Of course you do."

"You don't?" Lucy scoffed, "I don't know if I can stay here any longer."

"I'm more of a Scorpions kind of guy."

"I can tell," Lucy smiled.

─── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ───

Lucy had been at Billy's house for hours just talking. The two had been laying on his bed talking about everything and anything they could, even if they disagreed. And both enjoyed every minute of it.

"And you guys moved here from California?"

"Yeah. Warm beaches and cool waters," Billy smiled, remembering his childhood from Cali. "You ever been?"

"Nope, I've lived in Hawkins my whole life. I'm sure there aren't any beaches like California here," Lucy joked.

"No, there isn't. It's kinda boring here."

"Hey! You moved here." Lucy paused before asking, "Are you ever gonna go back to California?"

"You trying to get rid of me?"

"I was just wondering. It sounds amazing there."

"Believe me, it is," Billy said. "Have you ever even been to a beach before?"

Silence.

"You're joking," Billy gasped, sitting up.

"I'm not."

"I'll just have to take you with me when I move back then. You need to see the beach there," Billy said, gushing about California.

"You'd take me across the country just for the beach?" Lucy laughed.

"I bet you'd love the beach! The sand... the water... I'll even teach you how to surf," Billy told her. Lucy had never seen Billy so passionate about anything before.

"You know how to surf!?" Lucy was shocked, she never knew that about him. Of course it made sense though.

"I've been living on the beach my whole life, sweetheart. Of course I know how to surf."

"Okay, no need to be cocky."

Just then Billy's bedroom door burst open and his dad, Neil, barged in. The door smacked off the wall behind it, almost like the door was kicked in. Billy and Lucy both immediately sat up. Lucy had no idea what was happening.

"You having another one of your sluts in my house, Billy?"

"No," Billy said, his whole demeanor changing.

"Excuse me?" Neil said, menacingly walking into the room.

"No, sir," Billy snapped.

"I-I think I should go," Lucy said, getting off the bed and standing up. "Thanks for inviting me over."

Lucy looked at Billy and then Neil before she walked out of the room with her head down.

"Lucy, wait!" Billy said, following her out but Neil put an arm out, stopping him.

"Don't let it happen again," Neil warned, moving his arm and letting Billy leave.

It was too late for Billy to say anything to Lucy because he could already hear her car's engine roaring to life from the living room. He opened the front door but she was already peeling out of the driveway.

Billy really never shared anything about his family, especially about his father, and now Lucy knew why.