chapter 22

─── ・ 。゚☆:

─── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ───

After a while with the hippie kids, she left and went to find her own friends. Lucy was kind of drunk and totally stoned so seeing a familiar face would be great right now. While walking down the stairs she saw Jonathan talking to a girl in a KISS costume as 'Girls on Film' by Duran Duran blasting, to her, in the background.

Lucille shuffled through the crowd of people inside the house, trying to get out to a slightly less crowded place. Being inside that crowded house with all those drunk teenagers was making her nauseous, or maybe it was something else. Tommy H. spotted her through the crowd and decided to follow her with her completely unaware.

Steve had told Tommy a long time ago to stay away from Lucy but he never listens. Tommy was fully aware that Steve, now more than ever, had no control or eyes on her so he thought it was the perfect time to get with her. As soon as she got outside in the cool air, Tommy grabbed her arm.

"You wanna get out of here?"

"Not with you," Lucy said, disgusted. She might've been intoxicated from both weed and alcohol but she knew anything involving Tommy was bad news. Trying to pull her arm away, Lucy struggled and Tommy's strong grip got tighter.

"Hey, come on. We don't have to tell King Steve if you don't want to."

"She said no, you asshole. Get lost. Now."

Lucy wasn't the princess type and Billy sure was no prince, but he did just save her from something that could've turned ugly. Tommy wasn't someone to play around with. Lucy wrapped her arms around Billy while he stared at Tommy. Billy wasn't a softie but he let her keep her arms there, liking the feeling.

"He'll kick your ass, Tommy," Lucy giggled. "Now go away."

Tommy rolled his eyes and molded back into the crowd of drunk teens inside. Billy took Lucy's hand and guided her to a more secluded bench in the backyard and sat her down.

"Are you okay?" Billy asked.

Lucy nodded, trying to hold in a laugh.

"What's so funny?" He asked, cracking a genuine smile.

"Nothing," she said in a laugh. Him asking made her think the situation was funnier.

"How high are you?"

"Actually, it's, hi how are you?" She paused before saying, "How'd you know I'm high?"

"Lucky guess," Billy smiled. "I'm glad you came. Love the costume, Angel." She couldn't tell if he was telling her what costume she was wearing or calling her that."

"Thanks," she said smiling, looking at the costume. "I wasn't going to come but Jonathan didn't want to come alone. That reminds me... where is he?"

Lucy looked around the backyard and only saw a couple kids outside, most of the party was inside.

"Probably with that girl," she said, leaning her head on Billy's shoulder and closing her eyes. "You're a pretty nice guy. I don't get why people say you're a big meanie."

"You're pretty different from the way people describe you too."

Lucille lifted her head up and looked into his eyes.

"Oh really, so you've been asking about me? Tell me about myself then."

"For starters, everyone says you're a good girl which I guess matches because of your costume but what confuses me is that you're pretty high right now. I can tell you've never smoked a day in your life," Billy chuckled. "I was also told your dad is the police chief so maybe I should steer clear."

"Yeah, he's a tough guy... But I've smoked before," she lied.

"Really?" He said, shocked even though he knew it was a lie.

"Oh for sure. A pack everyday and... more."

"I smoke, Lucy and I can tell you don't," Billy said, looking down at the ginger girl.

"You could tell that easily? Huh," Lucy said looking away. "So what's your family like. I feel like I barely know you."

"My family is nothing special and Max isn't my sister. She came with Susan."

It seemed like a rough topic for him, but Lucy understood. Her family wasn't really that special either, she didn't even have a mom. Lucy didn't say anything more and reached over to grab his larger hand into hers.

He looked towards her and their faces slowly got closer and closer until they connected their lips. Their lips gently pressed together and they shifted closer to each other. This was the only girl Billy had ever been nervous to kiss or even touch. He slowly placed a hand on her thigh and Lucy put one of her hands on his cheek, keeping him close to her.

In the back of her mind, Lucy knew that this was wrong. She didn't actually like Billy in that way and she was leading him on by kissing him. They were just drunk she thought, and this meant nothing to either of them. So maybe it was okay after all... Just a one time thing. On the other hand, Billy really liked her and was nervous he would mess things up with her by making the wrong move.

"We shouldn't do this," Lucy said, pulling away suddenly, slightly sobering up. Billy jerked back too, thinking he did something wrong.

"What do you mean? Why?"

Billy was confused as to why she was completely into it and then not. He couldn't take his eyes off of her. Not in any bad way either; he just wanted to know what was running through her head at the moment.

"It's not you. It's just that I need to go and find my friend," Lucy said as she stood up. "I'm sorry."

"Your boyfriend left already, with that Nancy chick," Billy said, leaning back on the bench.

"Are you serious?" Billy nodded. "Is Steve still here?"

At the mention of 'King' Steve's name, Billy got angry. Billy didn't know the two were friends and he was mad at the fact that Lucy mentioned his name.

"Yeah, but why would you want him?" Billy said with clenched teeth, not mentioning Steve's name.

"I-I just have to go home. Now."

"You got a crush, huh?" Billy laughed a bit, but it wasn't the same laugh he had before. This one was more sarcastic and cruel.

"No, not that that's any of your business anyway."

Lucy felt shy now. She thought Billy might've actually been different just like Jonathan said, but now with his unnerving, cruel stare looking right through her, she didn't think so. He obviously had something against Steve and now that he was mentioned, Billy was just the way people described him.

"He's not gonna like you back sweetheart." Billy stood up. "He's just an ass. Plus he has a girlfriend."

"Yeah, thanks Billy but I just need a ride home so I'm going to go and find him."

She gave a little wave and left him standing there, feeling like a dumbass for what he said. He watched as she disappeared back into the house, and into the crowd. He sighed and then decided to follow her and say something, maybe even take her home. This was the total opposite of Billy Hargrove's personality, but there was something about Lucy Hopper that intrigued him.

Lucy was in search of Steve when she felt a hand grab her shoulder. She turned around and was surprised to see Steve there with slightly puffy, red eyes. He'd been crying recently.

"Hey," he said.