10 - friends and questions

I found myself with a dumbfounded grin on my face

I found myself with a dumbfounded grin on my face. I am so mesmerized by her. The way she talks, and it is like you are the only person who exists to her at that moment. Her eyes are beautiful, a beautiful chocolate brown. When you look at them and she is looking back you can see the whole universe dance in her eyes, it is perfect. I have looked at her a million times but this, this is different. Something has changed.

Things don't surprise me, but she sure as hell does. Selene Ray surprises me. I don't know what she is doing to me but it is pulling me in. Her smile pulls me in, I am locked in; hers.

But, she has no clue that I am. We are just friends. She is just beautiful and kind and funny and perfect and I got confused. I am in love with Lily.

"James?"

I shake my head to get out of my thoughts, "Huh?" She smiles, god that smile. You're in love with Lily, James. "I think you got swept into your thoughts. However, you were looking at me with a dumb grin, so not sure how you zoned out but anyways," Selene starts "I was saying how Marlene once pulled down Malfoy's trousers after he called someone the offensive term for muggle-born. Bloody wanker he is, but it was the best thing I have ever seen. She got detention for a month because it was Malfoy. Again, what a prat."

"If it makes you or Mckinnon feel any better, we have heavily pranked Malfoy." She laughs, which makes me smile, again. "Oh yes, it does."

"I have a very important question for you," Selene asks. "And I would be happy to answer it."

a dumb smile makes its way onto her face as she says, "What is your favorite prank you have ever done? Not your best one but favorite."

Nobody has ever asked me that before, only how I did it or why. "Now that is a great question, probably, when Sirius, Remus, Peter, and I transfigured a bunch of rocks into snakes and put them into the Slytherin common room."

Selene laughs, "Snakes with snakes, I assume?" "Exactly our thought." I replied nodding my head and taking a sip of butterbeer, "So now might I ask, why did your friend zone, Chang? He seems like a nice enough bloke."

She nods, "Not into him, I guess. He is nice but, I like someone else."

Good.

"He could of at least stayed for the whole trip and not left you. Prat," I mutter, not thinking she heard this, her eyes widened and her lips tugged up into a soft smile, barely noticeable but there nonetheless. She is so pretty, Stop it, James. You are supposed to love Lily. Talk about Lily. "So, how is Lily doing?"

Selene's smile faltered a tiny bit but it then returned, "Very good, everyone was still sleeping when I left this morning for Hogsmeade. She did tell me she was meeting up with Remus and the library today though." "Ah fun," I respond nodding my head.

"Are we friends?" Selene asks suddenly, "Like, I know we have known each other for six years now. And that we hang out in the common room on some nights, but we were never close. I have always been closest with Remus or even Sirius. We have talked a lot, but not directly to each other...until now. And I know it is only because I am helping you pass muggle-studies, or nothing would have changed. You would still be the guy that is in love with my best friend and I would be the best friend of the girl you love. So I guess my point is we were more acquaintances until now, I mean I have always liked you." She must have seen me give her a suggestive smirk, "Not like that."

My smirk falters, "Yes, we are friends, Selene. I always considered you a friend even if it was one-sided."

"Don't be offended." She says, "Who said I was offended?" I ask raising a brow, though a small smile is playing on my lips. "Your look, that smirk. It faltered. I told you more, I said I liked you. That has to count for something." "It does. And you're right maybe nothing would've changed if I wasn't pissed at muggle studies. But I am glad I am bad at it. I wouldn't have discovered the girl right in front of me."

Her lips tug up into a smile, "You make me sound special." "That's because you are. I never thought of you as the best friend to the girl I love. You're more than that to me." "And you're more than the guy who is in love with my best friend."

She laughs a beautiful laugh. "That was sappy." I grin, "Very."

We start to make our way back to the castle,
"Well, I surely was not expecting to be walking back with you of all people," Selene says while walking a few steps ahead of me turning her head back slightly to glance at me. "Why am I so surprising?" "You're not, the only reason I came today was for Edward. I just didn't expect to be walking back with James Potter." The brunette girl responds. "You're lucky to be with me," I smirk,  " And here I am spending my day with the one and only Selene Ray. Who would've thought?"

She rolls her eyes and a small chuckle escapes her lips, she looks like a masterpiece walking in front of me, her blue jumper is slightly big for her body, it jumps on and off of her shoulders. Her hair is pretty, it bounces up and down as she walks. Selene glances back at me every so often to make sure I am still there. It would be a good prank to disappear the next time she looks back, reappear and pretend I never left. I oddly don't want to, I want to stay in this moment. Watching her and talking back and forth with one another.
as
"The boys and I are hanging out tonight in the common room if you want to join. It has been a while." I offer, "Sure, it has been a while. I will not be drinking anything Sirius gives me. Bad choice on my part." She mumbles out the last part, "I wouldn't either, though,
your hair did look good purple."

"What do you mean you won't drink it?!" Sirius bellowed from the armchair beside the burning fire in the Gryffindor Common Room. "Because last time my hair turned purple!" Selene laughed, "I did look hot with purple hair, but... I don't fancy walking around the castle with it for three days."

"He's done it to me before as well, Sel." Peter chuckles," "All of us." Remus adds shooting Sirius a glare from the other armchair across from himself. Sirius winked, "Prongs will you drink it pretty please?"  he batted his eyelashes, "Why yes, I will." I replied. Sirius bounced up and down in his chair, clapping his hands like a child on Christmas. He passed me the goblet with the mystery substance, "Cheers to the forbidden drink that I'm not sure what is gonna happen to me!" I lifted the goblet to my lips and took a sip, a few moments passed, nothing. "Is anything going to happen?" Selene questioned, Peter, nodded in agreement, Remus' face that once held a slight cringe at my antics now held one of confusion.

"Nothing will happen." Sirius replied cheerfully, "Then why—" Selene starts, "I'm bored and wanted to keep my friends hydrated!"

AN: slight filler chapter! :)) next chapter has a big-time jump! And... there may or may not be a new years party coming up. love u besties!

don't forget to vote and comment!