20: expecto patronum

A FEW WEEKS HAD PASSED

A FEW WEEKS HAD PASSED. February slipped away and they were now met with March. This was one of Selene's favorite months. It was now Pisces and Aries season! Some of her favorite people in the world were one of those two signs. Her mother: Marie being a Pisces, her birthday landing on the first of March, Selene was sure to send her a very enthusiastic howler to wish her a happy birthday. And, Remus Lupin: He was her best friend who shared her addiction to books and chocolate, especially milk chocolate. Finally, her owl, Blossom, was a proud Aries.

Selene was sure to enjoy the brisk morning. It has been painfully cold the last few weeks so she was enjoying walking the grounds of Hogwarts. She smiled to herself as she admired the beauty, as she did very often.

The brown-eyed girl was definitely one of the people in the world that liked to stop and smell the roses.

Sometimes in her free time, she would cast the Patronus charm. Selene always adored her little ocammy. She even named her; Aurora. After her favorite muggle Disney movie. She didn't know what made the thought pop into her mind to cast the charm but Selene suddenly stopped to pull out her wand.

She thought of her memory. The Gryffindor never had trouble producing the charm, she had many happy memories circulating that brain of hers. So she thought of the memory that she had been using for years. It was weird she wasn't focused like she usually was. It was as if another memory was trying to break the barriers of her thought to make its way in. Selene ignored this.

"Expecto Patronum!" She said. A blue light came erupting from her wand. Selene tilted her head in disbelief and slight horror. Her sweet little Aurora wasn't Aurora.

What was in front of her was a Doe.

Her eyes widened. Why had her Patronus all of a sudden changed? Selene thought back to when the last time she cast the charm was. It must've been back to at least September. She was confused. She now had to match Patronus with James Potter. Selene knew what this meant but ignored it, whatever was going to happen was happening.

The doe faded and left. Great. Now she was going to have to think of a name for her new Patronus.

James was walking the grounds that beautiful Tuesday morning. He was just on his way to the quidditch pitch to get some flying in before his glasses. a long mane of brunette hair caught his eye: Selene. She had her wand out and was casting some type of spell. James being the curious being he was decided to wait to see what she was casting.

A blue splash of light erupted from her wand. Her occamy, James thought to himself. But, something was off. James raised a brow when he saw that her Patronus had changed. Upon further inspection, he identified it to be a doe.

The female version of a Stag.

He caught a smile playing on her lips at the sight of it. He matched it. James wasn't quite sure what they were. They were friends but at the same time, they were more. He knew they both shared the same feelings for one another.

The messy-haired boy would think about what led him to her. For years he had been mad for her best friend and then all of a sudden it was like a switch flipped in his head and it pointed him to Selene. James felt guilty, not because he didn't hold feelings for Lily anymore, it was that he never noticed Selene for what she was: Perfect.

Of course, Selene was anything but. She was smart and serious but at the same time took nothing seriously. She had her flaws like everyone else.

He felt like he finally knew what it was. He had thought for a while it was just because he was frustrated that Lily never showed him any feelings in return. He was wrong. James did believe he loved Lily. But he didn't believe he was ever in love with her. He loved her in a platonic sense. It just took the boy six years to figure out the difference.

James had always thought there was no difference when it came to love. But then he was flunking muggle studies and turned to Selene.

He had so much in common with her. He loved the way she spoke and the way she laughed and the way when she talked to him it was as if they were the only two people left on earth. He could see her as both his best friend and the love of his life.

He saw Lily as a schoolboy crush who he constantly chased for the sport of it.

The chase.

He loved the chase, not her. He never admired her like he did Selene. He never was confused with her like he was with Selene.

And that was it. Relationships are never easy. Sometimes it can be but it has constant twists and turns. It has highs and lows. But at the end of the day, you still look at your loved ones like you did the first time you saw them. Because they are your person. The person you never want to let go of no matter what.

James didn't want to force anything with Selene. He would wait for her to be ready and when that day came he would be ready for her as well.

note: kinda cute kinda cheesy extra chapter that is short but I felt bad for giving you guys a short chapter yesterday so surprise?