25: all too well

March and April had passed with ease

March and April had passed with ease. Selene kept studying for the N.E.W.T.S coming up soon. No drama came walking into her life, it was good. James and she were back to normal. ( He wasn't useless in muggle-studies now! )

The classes were getting harder, but nothing she couldn't handle. The weather was finally starting to get nice, the leaves had grown back a serene green. The squid in the Black Lake was now visible, making appearances on the regular.

Currently, there were practice exams before their N.E.W.T.S. Selene and Lily were on a break before their next, it was a perfect opportunity to soak in the sun by the Black Lake - under a shady tree, of course. So what better day than today to meet up with all the Marauders?

What they were expecting to see was, James and Sirius not studying, Remus actually studying and trying to convince the others to do so, and Peter, either sitting back and watching or talking. But, sadly, what they came across wasn't like this.

"Scourgify!"

Pink soap bubbles erupted from Snape's mouth at once, choking the poor boy.

Lily and Selene's eyes were wide, James and Sirius had their wands raised at Severus Snape. Lily gasped and ran forward, "LEAVE HIM ALONE!"

James and Sirius looked around. James and Selene made eye contact for a second, her eyes were wide with pure disgust. She was frozen on the spot. She was terrified, but not for Snape. It was the fact that she didn't know how far James would take it.

James broke the stare, "Evans."

"Leave him alone," Lily repeated. She was looking at the scene with disgust, "What did he ever do to you." she spat.

James said something in reply that Selene didn't quite catch. She was too busy analyzing the scene.

Peter was cackling and cheering like an idiot at the scene. Everyone was laughing. Everyone except for Selene, Lily, and Remus.

Selene closed her eyes before running up beside Lily, shooting daggers at James and Sirius.

There was a flash of light and a gash appeared on the side of James's face. He turned around and in a blink of an eye, Snape was hanging upside-down in the air.

Many people were cheering, The Marauders (except Remus) were laughing stupidly.

Selene suddenly spoke out, keeping the deadly stare in the boy,  "Let him down!"

"Of course," said James and he moved his wand upwards; Snape fell into a crumpled mess on the grass. Sirius stepped in and said, 'Petrificus Totalus!' and Snape went rigid.

Selene took a deep breath before making the decision to step in further. She pulled her wand out from her bag and pointed it at the boys. "Leave him, Potter."

James' eyes flashed with something, he sighed deeply, then turned to Snape and muttered the counter-curse. "You're lucky these two were here, Snivellus."

"I don't need help from filthy little Mudbloods like them!"

Selene pursed her lips and rolled her eyes in reply. Lily blinked. "Fine," she said coolly. 'I won't bother in future..."

"Apologize!" James roared at Snape, his wand pointed at the greasy-haired Slytherin.

"I don't want you to make him apologize," Lily shouted, rounding on James. 'You're as bad as he is.'

"What?!" shrieked James. "I'd never call you a-you-know-what!"

Before Lily could respond Selene jumped back in, "Your ego is way too big to carry your head. Stop picking on people, I don't care what he did, that was cruel." Her eyes shifted over to Remus who had his nose pointed in a book, but it didn't look like much reading was happening at all. "And you," she started, "I thought you knew to stop them. I am so disappointed."

And with that, she turned curtly and headed back up to the castle.

"SELENE!" James called after her.

Selene was in the Gryffindor common room with a sour expression on her face. She knew James used to act in such cruel ways. She really had thought he had matured and realized those tactics were wrong. Apparently she was far off.

The portrait hole swung open to reveal James in all his glory. His rectangular glasses, and his messy hair, and a desperate look. She turned briefly to see who it was, but quickly turned back around with a "Hmph!" at the sight of the boy. James messed up his hair more, (if that was possible.)

"Selene," James breathed, his eyes soft. "Snape was being a git."

She scoffed, "Oh yeah?" Selene turned to face him, "What was he doing? Looking at you funny?"

"Well no—"

Selene sprung from her spot, "This is like fourth year you," She said blankly, "Bothering Snape? I don't like the prat either but what you did was cruel."

"I- I didn't mean to!" James yelped, "I mean I did, but I don't know what came over me."

"You saw how uncomfortable it made Lily, Hell, even Remus looked funny about it." Selene said, her voice raised.  Any other lingering students had left the room by now. "You took it too far. Just because people laugh does not make it funny one bit."

"You know me!" James said, his eyes pleading with her, "You know I wouldn't of done any real damage, no matter how annoying the wanker is."

"No! I don't think I do." Her eyes had welled up, "I was scared. Not for Snape. I was scared that I truly didn't know how far you would've taken it."

"Sel," He whispered.

"No."

"Don't 'Sel' me. I- I need space. I will see you around." She finished, and ran up the girls stairs up to hide in her dorm.

Two steps forward, a thousand steps back.

Except it wasn't any steps back. They were frozen in time, stuck in the same place. Friends but also more than friends but just friends at the same time. She was fed up with the constant circles they were in. So close to one another but so far.

Selene was done waiting. Either they figured themselves out soon, or all they were were a piece of history in the story of her life.