Chapter 2

The street lights are on, duty is over. I see the big gate where we departed this morning. The gate has a soft glow due to the way the street lights illuminate the environment. I pull up the drive way.

"Karl." I say in a rather loud voice.

The tall brunet who was standing in the driveway walks over to the vehicle. He's also a friend of mine. We also met at work but we barely see each other.

He's American and decided to come to Europe a few years ago to study. Then he decided to work in the Police Department. I don't know why, maybe he heard different stories back then as well.

It all seemed so exiting. Wild chases, mysteries,... If they told me it would all be this on a regular basis then I would have never become an officer.

The world gets grey. Everything is getting old. I can see Karl's face clearly as he walks closer to us. I can see dark circles under his eyes, he always had them. He always seemed a bit tired, but was always there for everyone and could always bring out a smile.

I roll down the window and Karl places his arms in the window gap, "Hey boys, you gotta park this car inside tonight."

"Alright." I answer.

He waves at Wilbur, then immediately walks off. My eyes follow him until he's back inside before I park the car. He didn't want to talk that much, which I get because it's late.

Me and Wil get out and walk together to the private car park. We tell each other goodnight and get in our own cars.

I watch him drive away, he waves at me one last time for tonight. I smile back, then look down at my belt. I'm still carrying my firearm. I remove it from the belt and place it on the passenger seat.

I sigh, not wanting to go home. It's a long drive and my cat won't even come to cuddle as I arrive back home. She never really cares about me, only when she's hungry.

I always feel kind of lonely. A girlfriend, I never got around to it. I don't know why but girls just don't seem to be interested in me. I have dated a few, but they all left. And to be honest, i don't really miss them.

I don't really miss the whole chatting, dating, hookups, hoping it turns into something serieus but ending up heartbroken thing. Dating is exhausting.

I just want like- a friend or something. I don't even know what I want or need. I just don't want to feel lonely.

I put the car keys in and turn them. The engine starts and I drive off. It's even darker outside right now. The sky isn't fully black yet. It's a mixture of light blue and dark purple.. I think. The sky is so beautiful. I always wished I could see it's true colours.

On my way home I decide to stop at a gas station to quickly buy a snack. I eat it whilst I'm leaning against my car next to the road. I watch as hundreds of other cars drive past me. I wonder where they're all going.

Reluctantly I get back in the car after I finish my snack. I can see the museum I always drive past in a distance. There's flags hanging around it. One flag is the flag of England, the other one is the UK flag. The building is enlightened with little spotlights, so pretty.

My mind tells me to drive towards it. To just sit there for a few minutes. So I do that. I drive off the highway to the museum.

As I arrive there after a few minutes I park the car next to the road and get out. The building looks giant from this perspective. I bend my neck all the way to look at the very top.

I close my eyes as a cold breeze flows by and breathe out. I feel so at peace right now. But a loud clang opened my eyes again. I look around, behind me too. Nothing. Theres just a few trees with leaves falling regularly. They land on the grass and get blown further by the wind.

I furrow my eyebrows as I turn back and take a closer look at the museum. I jump as I hear a noise that clearly sounds like glass breaking. I squint my eyes but see nothing. I firmly walk up the steps towards the entrance, halfway I stop.

'Take the firearm with you.' my mind tells me.

I run back up to my car grab the firearm and attach it to my belt. I put my phone in my back pocket and walk back up to the entrance. It wasn't a long stairway, the steps were just big. Like everything around here.

Obviously I couldn't enter through the main entrance. Then it hit me: there's security. There's always security at museums at night.

I walk a bit around the building and surely find the security entrance. It's locked of course. But it's weird the little light above it isn't on. There should be lights indicating all entrances. I take a step back and reconsider.

Should I check? I clearly heard glass breaking.

I take a deep breath and without thinking I kick the door. A loud noise came from it. I was shocked by it. Why did I do that? And without the meaning to, I kick it again.

"What?" I whisper to myself.

My mind is telling me to stop, but it's clearly disconnected from my entire body. I kick the door a third time and the lock breaks. My heart is beating real fast right now. With a bit of hesitation and shaky legs I enter the building.

Should I call the cops?

But I am a cop.

But I might need backup.

I try to calm myself down. 'No, you cannot call the cops right now. You kicked in a door. Plus you're not even sure if there's something wrong.' my mind tells me.

I enter the building and look around, I see no one. If there was security they would have definitely checked here. those kicking sounds weren't ignorable.

I silently walk down the hallway. I can see the control room. I look through the blinds, no ones there. I lay my hand on the door handle and without doing anything the door already opens. I look around the room.

"Hello?" I whisper.

I can see a few blank papers on the desks. Some souvenirs and some pencils too. I look at the posters on the wall. There about some of the monuments and artefacts in here.

One gives information about a little statue from 1800. Another one tells about an oil painting. My eyes glide over them, not showing much interest.

I breath out trying to control my heartbeat. I turn my head to the computer. I lay my hands on the keyboard and try to turn it on. Thank god I'm excellent with computers.

I try to get access to the cameras but.. it's black. All screens are black, I can't see anything. At first I thought I didn't have access to the cameras and that I was looking at nothing. But after restarting it, I was sure: someone messed with the cameras.

At this point I'm starting to worry. There's no clear sign of an intruder but this is all so suspicious.

I can call for backup right now, but they'll ask how I got in. That's definitely gonna get me in trouble. I let my head fall back for a second. trying to understand how the fuck I got myself into this situation.

Again a loud noise from inside the building makes me jump. It echoes through the halls followed by a muffled voice.

I look down at my firearm. A rage overtakes me as I grab it and hold it up.

"I have been waiting for a case like this."