Chapter 17

I hesitate while repeating the question, "..Who was the driver?"

I can see him lower his head. He stares at his feet without saying a word.

"Dre-"

"You would know!" he cuts me off.

I flinch and step back, "No- I don't."

He starts laughing, that's when I start to get freaked out. He puts both hands on my shoulders.

"Is there anyone in particular that should be close to you but isn't?" he asks me.

At first I wanted to say no. I then chose to think before I speak. Wait- does he mean my dad? I innocently look him in the eyes.

"Uuh, my dad, maybe?" I say uncertainty.

A wide smile appears on his face, "Exactly."

My eyes widen. What? My dad could never be the driver, there's no way. He's a police detective, obviously he wouldn't do something like that.

"I don't believe you." I spit out.

"George.. you think I'm dumb? Back then maybe! But I spend years figuring it all out. I know everything.

Your father left to go to America when you were younger, right? Yeah, and here, in America, where I lived my entire life- he fucking ran over my friend."

I stare into his eyes, flabbergasted.

Dream continues, "Your dad is also not just a police detective, there's more. And I'm not talking about the fact that he's also a murderer."

I wanted to cuss him out right then and there. All this bullshit is the reason I'm here? It's not even the truth. He's fucking out of his mind!

"You don't have any proof!" I shout.

He backs up. I thought I made a point there, and silenced him. But as soon as I thought that the door opens. We both look in the direction, seeing Ant put a folder of document on the table.

He sweeps it across the table so that it slides all the way to the other side, our side. My eyes follow the brown folder. I see Ant leave the room immediately after in the corner of my eye.

I flinch as I feel Dream behind me, "What are you doing?" I ask.

He doesn't respond, but that's not necessary. I feel him remove the cuffs around my wrists. As soon as he removed them I wanted to punch him.

I think he could tell, 'cause he held my wrists himself for a few seconds. After he slowly lets go he tells me to see it myself.

"What?"

"Look through the documents." he clarifies.

My right hand is shaped in a fist. I however breathe out and rest it. I slowly grab the folder as I sit down. There are letters, documents and pictures.

The letters are formal. 'Mr. Davidson' the signature at the bottom of each letter says. My eyes glide over the papers and letters.

"What is all this?"

I hesitantly grab the pictures, scared to look at them. I breathe in and turn them around. I gasp as I see faces. The first picture I see is one with three men standing next to each other. They're wearing suits.

I study their faces, none of them seem familiar or look like me. Dream's hand appears in my sight. His index finger points at the middle guy.

"That's your dad, right?"

I freeze. Really? I didn't know. I completely forgot what he looked like. And he doesn't even look like me.

"Uhm, I don't know.." I say quietly.