To Be Fair

Scant lackadaisical clouds floated high up in the cerulean skies basking in the toasty heat of the noon sun

Scant lackadaisical clouds floated high up in the cerulean skies basking in the toasty heat of the noon sun. They were not alone in their leisurely spirit. The occupants of the palace of Indraprastha reciprocated their nature albeit in the rare intervals of their busy schedule.

Although shaded from the sun, the stone walls bore the brunt of the northern zephyrs which encapsulated the beguiling carvings in winter's cold breath. All admiring hands were hastily retracted upon being greeted by an unpleasant chill.
Barefeet shared a similar fate from the unmercifully cold floors yearning to rest on the heated courtyard, run along the freshly mowed grass outside and not leave the cosy carpets indoors.

The privileged ones like Abhijishya herself got to linger under the warm golden rays till the chilled bones could completely soak in the heat. Yet leisure was far from her reach.

"Vindu, come on, open your mouth," Abhijishya held a silver spoonful of mashed rice and pulses waiting for the toddler in her lap to pay attention. The little prince ignored her for the umpteenth time more enamoured with the colourful wooden elephant.

She gently motioned the spoon near his mouth only for him to turn away. "No," he huffed out and rubbed his face on her blouse. Abhijishya raised an unimpressed eyebrow at the cheeky grinning face who had just lovingly made a mushy yellow patch on her garment. A giggle drew out a helpless smile from her before she sighed tiredly.

"I don't understand why he isn't eating today," Abhijishya murmured placing the spoon back into the bowl Charu was holding seated beside her on the plush carpet. They were situated on the eastern balcony overlooking the palace courtyard. Pleasant sunlight poured on them abundantly which allowed them to discard their heavy winter articles and enjoy the warmth.

"Perhaps Rajkumar Prativindya is already full. Should I enquire if he was fed sometime before?" Reva mused, momentarily pausing her busy hands which were sewing a washcloth.

Abhijishya shook her head in denial. "Jiji would have told you so if it were the case," she remarked bouncing Draupadi's first born absentmindedly. Prativindya was only fifteen months old so it wasn't like they would get an answer for his strange behaviour from him.

"Maybe she forgot, Rajkumari. Maharani does look quite frazzled having her hands full with Rajkumar Shatanika. Unlike his elder brother, Rajkumar has been troublesome these two months," Charu replied thoughtfully. Abhijishya considered her words. Afterall, it was true in all aspects. Shatanika was born two months and sixteen days ago. Since then Draupadi hadn't gotten a whole night's sleep. The prospect of letting anyone else take over caring for the two youngest members of their household was out of question. Even with the tight security, one couldn't predict how an enemy would plot wishing harm on the male descendants of the Pandavs. So Abhijishya had stepped up to the role of minding Prativindya, not that she had anything more to occupy her time this year. The relief and gratitude in Draupadi's tired face was something she could sympathise with having faced many a sleepless night during Anvi's early years.