Going All In

A fortnight passed mundanely slow

A fortnight passed mundanely slow. Somethings had changed in these days- the nights did not make teeth clatter, Parnika had stopped crying and accepted her life of silence, the other side of Abhijishya's bed was always found empty when she woke and filled only after she fell asleep, the men of the court no longer had to answer to a certain woman and Anveeksa found herself basking in her mother's company more. None of these things were noteworthy- no, not atleast if someone were to ask Abhijishya.

If the maids, court women, servants, chefs and guards talked about these changes then it was nothing worth her attention. So Abhijishya continued with doing whatever she was required to do.

"How is your reading and writing coming along?" Abhijishya spoke softly. Parnika's hand halted in it's task of copying simple Sanskrit words. Abhijishya and her companion were seated in her bedroom on a thick carpet directly below an open window amidst a few parchments, some fresh and most filled with big childish handwriting of several words. Toasty sunlight streamed in making pools of gold on them and the floor.

Parnika looked back at Abhijishya seemingly indecisive about something. She opened her mouth but sighed. Then she went to writing something on the parchment. Her eyebrows scrunched in concentration, her lips mouthing the spelling she wanted to write. Abhijishya waited patiently feeling impossibly fond. The guilt was still there but it was eclipsed by her sense of gratification. When Abhijishya had found herself sinking in the feeling of being useless a few days back, Charu had sent her to Parnika.

Parnika had fallen before her feet, weeping, lips mouthing silent but vehement apologies. Abhijishya had been shocked and for once confused. Charu had then explained that Parnika often asked about her and thought Abhijishya was disappointed because she had failed in her task. The loyalty and devotion of Parnika never failed to humble Abhijishya from that day on. And thus with Parnika, Abhijishya had found a sense of purpose.

The parchment was passed to her. Abhijishya blinked away her thoughts and glanced at the inscribed word. "Slow. Try," were written. Abhijishya smiled at Parnika who nervously smiled back. "Don't downplay your endeavours. Even though you knew your alphabets beforehand, you started to learn spelling of words just a few days ago. Your progress is remarkable."

Parnika ducked her head, the tips of her ears turning red. A swiftly written "Thank you Rajkumari" was passed to Abhijishya which made the receiver chuckle. "You are doing all the hard work. Don't thank me so," Abhijishya hummed thoughtfully. "I guess I should teach you the names all the kingdoms of Aryavarta. We could do that tomorrow. You have been writing for a long time. Are your fingers cramping?"

Parnika shook her in denial. "Still, let us take a break. We shall continue after a few minutes," Abhijishya said, leaning back against a pillow. She rolled her shoulders trying to alleviate the stiffness when she noticed Parnika getting up.

"Sit back down," Abhijishya said. "I know you were getting up to give me a massage. Don't you know what a break means? Lie down for a bit or go walk to move your legs. I am not letting you move a muscle to serve me till you are fit and can write whole paragraphs."