Sweet Wine till Dawn

The banquet that followed the wedding was bountiful

The banquet that followed the wedding was bountiful. Numerous vessels laden with delicacies were presented one after the other, each flavour cooked to such perfection that even an ascetic would have a hard time not drooling at the aroma. Everyone who had eaten the previous dish more in eagerness lamented at the limited space in their stomach when they could have a few bites of the next dishes. All in all, it was a lengthy affair which would definitely be a topic of praise for the upcoming days.

Evening turned into night and soon earthern lamps were lit up as everyone proceeded towards the courtyard and gardens. The young and some women decided to retire for the day. Subhadra and Arjun departed together, not before a few good natured teasing and congratulations were thrown their way. Then the wine was brought out. Goblets were filled as easy chatter passed between the masses. Abhijishya spotted some even forgoing the goblet and drinking straight from a jar. Now that the ceremony was coming to a close, people chose to scatter into small groups which left Abhijishya here with her husband sitting with her family, sipping wine feeling content in a heartily full stomach.

The flame from the torches drew shadows on their faces as Abhijishya watched them talk seated in a loose circle. She felt warm, a combination of both the wine and the company. Her brothers Balram, Krishna and sisters-in-law Revati, Satyabhama, Kalindi, Jambavati, Nagnajiti along with Satyaki, Kritavarma and his wife were seated with her and her husband. She made a mental note to thank Mitravinda, Laksmana, Bhadra and Rukmini who assured her that Anvi would be minded by them.

"So when can we expect to receive your wedding invitation, Satyaki?" Revati spoke, her eyes glinting in interest.

"I think I forgot to instruc-" Satyaki stammered trying to get up but Kritavarma and Balram held him down with their superior strength. The former shot a betrayed look to Kritavarma before looking beseechingly at Balram.

"Revati asked you a question," Balram patted Satyaki as if consoling him.

"You swore you wouldn't tell anyone," Satyaki hissed at Krishna who instead glanced back innocuously.

"As if," Revati scoffed. "Kanha doesn't need to tell me anything. Anyone with eyes in Dwarka can see your smitten eyes whenever you look at the Andhaka maiden."

"Andhaka?" Kritavarma's eyebrows climbed up his forehead. "You fancy a maiden from my clan? Why am I hearing of this now?"

"Now brother Kritu, I don't fancy her-" Satyaki protested.

"Oh he is in love!" Nagnajiti interjected gleefully.

"Huh," Satyabhama uttered thoughtfully. "And here I wondered what strange rituals he was participating after he seemed to take a different flower everyday from the gardens."

"Don't forget the sweets. And oh the anklets! I saw him conversing with the jeweller the other day," Kalindi whispered as if revealing a conspiracy.

"He is besotted! Charmed! Enchanted!" Jambavati added then sighed, softly gazing at Krishna. "Must be at first sight." Krishna smiled back with equal endearment.