Familial Bonds

Patience was one of the earliest virtues taught to a young Kshtriya

Patience was one of the earliest virtues taught to a young Kshtriya. The lion must learn to be patient as the prey appeared in the most favourable spot before leaping. The bird must exercise patience as it builds its nest one twig at a time. The spider must be patient as it weaves its web. Just like every creature in nature, a warrior must be patient.

Yet Nakul, a man well above his teenage years of hot blooded impatience felt himself losing a battle against anticipation. He tried to concentrate on the meet and greet between his named in-laws as he and his family were welcomed inside the magnificent palace of Dwarka.

His wife was doing the most of the talking. They were greeted by his brother-in-law Krishna and his wives along with a dozen maids holding plates of flowers and aarti. The ladies were chattering amiably no doubt delighted to meet Mohini and their Anvi after so many days. Anvi seemed to be arguing with her uncle. In what matter exactly, Nakul was unsure of but usually Anvi's scepticism stemmed from Bhrata Krishna's determination to maintain his mystique.

This time Nakul didn't join in on the fun to tease his daughter and add to the curiosity about her favourite uncle's omniscient ways. His eyes wandered around the crowd which was smaller compared to the other times when they had visited Dwarka before. It was to be expected after all. One could hardly miss the urgency in the air as the work for festivities continued around them.

After all it was the marriage of the revered Balram and renowned Krishna's sister. Their sister who was to be married to his brother. Which led to the question, where was his brother.

Nakul knew it was somewhat illogical to expect his brother to be waiting for his arrival when he must be busy with something.

'Busy with what?' his treacherous mind whispered. 'What sort of duties would the groom have in his own wedding?'

So why wasn't his brother whom he hadn't seen a glimpse of in the past decade here to meet him?

His mood soured. Somehow he managed to return gracious salutes and greetings but he felt restless. The decade-long constrained patience of seeing his brother again was coming loose. Nakul wondered how rude it would be for a son-in-law to barge inside ignoring everyone and seek out his infuriating-dutiful-perfectionist brother and maybe punch him on his face.

"Perhaps it is best if Arya would accompany Bhratashree. Bhrata Arjun has always been more amiable to suggestions when faced with his younger brother and his dearest friend," Nakul tuned in to the conversation going on before him. Abhijishya was looking at him expectantly. He felt rather clueless about what suggestion was being referred to but he understood the opportunity his beloved had created for him.

He agreed easily.

"Rajkumar is too gracious," Dwarkeshwari Rukmini appeared pleased. "Arya, please accompany him. I shall take Abhijishya and Anvi with me. Subhadra has been very eager to meet them."