Unmeeting to One's Eyes

Abhijishya stood waiting, well aware of Charu's gaze on her

Abhijishya stood waiting, well aware of Charu's gaze on her. She stomped down on the urge to snap at her and pasted a polite smile instead when Jatasya hobbled over quickly towards her.

"Rajkumari Pranipaat! Pardon me but I wasn't aware of your visit. Otherwise I would have been there to welcome you inside," Jatasya spewed out in a hurry, gasping for breath as he bowed low with joined hands. He was a middle aged man with a fading hairline and poor lungs that got him heaving even from a slight rushed pace but he was efficient in fulfilling his duties. Afterall, the main infirmary did not run by itself during the times Abhijishya was unable to keep up her regular check-ups on the management of the establishment. 

Especially with Anveeksha, Vindu and her other commitments, Abhijishya was more reliant on his ability to supervise the workings of this place than she would like to admit out loud. 

"Please," Abhijishya easily waved away his apology. "We have been working together too long for all this. I should have alerted you of my arrival after I skipped my previous bimonthly visit. It felt neglectful waiting for another month to come here. I just hope it won't be an inconvenience to accomodate me in between your chores today."

Jatasya stood up straight and chuckled good-naturedly having regained his bearings. "Inconvenience and you? No, no, Rajkumari. You are anything but that. Rather I am glad you didn't wait and visited sooner. I always keep all records ready for reviewing at all hours." He then eyed a servant standing reclined against a pillar and said, "Go quickly and fetch some refreshments for Rajkumari."

"Thank you but I would have to refuse. The day is not getting any younger and I would like to go through everything as swiftly as possible," Abhijishya shook her head dismissing the servant who was about to scramble away. 

"As you wish, Rajkumari. Allow me a few moments to fetch the records while you rest indoors. Rachit would be happy to escort you inside," Jatasya beckoned his nephew to step forward. Rachit was a lanky boy in his late teens whose mind and tongue were as sharp as a whip. He was blind in one eye from birth which didn't allow him to follow his father's footsteps to become an army quadrant leader.

The boy bowed low in greeting and Abhijishya smiled more openly. "Ah Rachit, it seems you are still growing like a weed. Should this continue I'll have to ask your uncle to call masons for raising the ceilings and expanding the doors." 

The boy blushed brightly then grumbled under his breath. "Not everyone is as tiny as you," which earned him a smack on the back of his head from his mortified uncle. Abhijishya laughed out loud catching hold of Rachit's ear and giving a playful twist. "Still the cheeky little brat I see," she mockingly glared, which only made her captive grin unapologetically. 

"Rajkumari, you shouldn't let him get away with being ill-mannered. He is no longer the six year old boy you met. I ask your forgiveness on his behalf," Jatasya bowed, most certainly planning on giving Rachit a good scolding later.