To What End?

After Nakul had left them to meet Arjun, the ladies had left Abhijishya and Anvi in their guest chambers to change into clean garments and wash away the dirt from their journey

"When am I going to meet Tatshree?" Anvi asked, her inquisitive eyes already peering back the way they came from.

Abhijishya pretended to think. "Well, we have to pay our respects to our elders. We also have to help with wedding preparations. Your aunt Subhadra would want to meet you and spend some time with you too. Then your cousins have missed you so they are also very restless to meet you..."

As she went on, Abhijishya struggled to hold back her amusement as Anvi seemed to pout harder at each word.

"But I always spend time with everyone whenever I visit Dwarka. I have never met Tatshree. Pitashree and you have told me only stories. Why does Pitashree get to meet him before I do?" Anvi sulked, picking at a small thread sticking out of her attire.

"Hmm," Abhijishya gently took Anvi's smaller hand in hers. "If you had a brother, wouldn't you want to meet him as soon as possible after going over a decade of not seeing his face? Your Pitashree should get some alone time with his elder brother before a small princess takes up all the attention of her Tatshree. Also, do you want to greet your Tatshree covered in dust from the road?"

Anvi took in her mother's words and smiled brightly. "May I bathe first Matashree? I want to meet Tatshree and ask him to come back home with us."

"Go on then," Abhijishya smiled back. Addressing Charu and the maids attending to them, she said, "Please see to what my daughter needs. I leave her in your care."

One of them stepped forward and bowed, "It is our honour to serve you, Rajkumari and Rajkumari Anveeksha. If Rajkumari Anveeksha would follow me, I would be glad to guide you to the bathing chamber."

Anvi smiled and replied politely, "This one thanks you for your service. Please take care of me."

The maids seemed quite pleased at being addressed with respect and they left with Anvi. Charu nodded and followed them. One of the maid stayed behind along with Reva.

Abhijishya paid the maid no mind long used to the presence of someone or the other staying back in her quarters. She started to remove her jewellery with Reva's help.

"Rajkumari has taught Rajkumari Anveeksha well. The nectar of blue lotus drips from her tongue and the gentleness of moonlight shines from her demeanor while her spirit flutters with the playfulness of a butterfly," the maid spoke softly, her eyes trained on the floor.

Reva tensed at the words as she slowly took a step back, slipping a hair ornament in Abhijishya's hand.

Unsheathing the ornament, Abhijishya turned towards the maid, a small lethal knife gripped carefully behind her back. "And what does her grace reflect?"