Fissures in Us

The cool evening sweetened by Charu's low humming while she moved around Abhijishya's chamber spreading the smoky fragrance of incense soothed Abhijishya amidst her tremulous thoughts

The cool evening sweetened by Charu's low humming while she moved around Abhijishya's chamber spreading the smoky fragrance of incense soothed Abhijishya amidst her tremulous thoughts. Parnika had been asking for her. She could see Reva's pleading eyes in her mind as Reva urged her to visit Parnika. How could she? With what face would she go? If only she hadn't asked Parnika to go investigating that day, she wouldn't be suffering such now. The least she could do is make her medicines personally. Adding a few leaves of marigold, Abhijishya continued rolling her pestle on the mortar.

Footsteps sounded against the marble floor of her chamber. Abhijishya didn't have to look up to know to whom those belonged but she was thrown slightly off the balance. She wasn't expecting Nakul in her chamber anytime soon.

His feet halted. Abhijishya heard Charu greet Nakul before continuing to spread the incense around. This time she was not humming. Her pestle grinded away on the mortar. That sound seemed to be speaking for them enough and neither greeted the other.

Some tense moments slipped by before Abhijishya heard him speak, "Would you like me to finish making the medicine? You must be doing so for a while."

In the next moment, Abhijishya looked up at him, anger climbing from the pit of her stomach as a mocking laugh escaped her. "Rajkumar Nakul's words have merit. Afterall, I am too incompetent to even make a wound healing herbal paste, aren't I?"

His eyebrows furrowed as the significance if her words dawned upon him. "Is this about what I-" He cut off mid sentence realising Charu was still present in the room.

"Privacy," Nakul declared stiffly.

Charu appeared hesitant then glanced at her.

"She won't be leaving until I say so," Abhijishya answered back then went back at her task.

She heard Nakul huff, feeling a slight petty pleasure in testing his patience.

"Gods, you are being so childish," the comment was spoken in a low tone but it reached her ears. Abhijishya clenched her jaw to avoid snapping back at him as she transferred the last of the freshly made paste into a granite saucer.

"Charu, here," she handed over the article. "Apply this gently on Parnika's wound as you always do. Be liberal with it's use and don't let the paste dry over the injury. Now, you may leave."

Charu looked worriedly at Nakul then back at her but nodded nonetheless. Holding the saucer carefully, she hurriedly walked away.

"I wasn't being childish, Arya. It is called understanding one's priorities. I thought the healer in you was capable of discerning that but again I could be mistaken given your current actions," Abhijishya remarked taking an intentional dig at Nakul.

Having placed his crown on the dressing table, Nakul turned around to face his wife. His breaths were coming more deeply as if regulating his emotions. In a controlled voice, he said, "Oh? And what actions might those be, Rajkumari Abhijishya? Please enlighten me."