Hope for Tomorrow

It was very easy to like Subhadra and terribly hard to dislike her without feeling like a nasty person

With her big doe eyes and dainty features, Subhadra was like a cool gentle breeze on a summer day, the fragrant flowers of spring, a midnight monsoon shower with a warm smile that could chase away the coldest of winters. She was always eager to help, appease all the children in the palace and good natured.

Abhijishya had only spent time with her a handful of times after she had come back from kanyashram and exchanged pleasantries over letters occassionally. Upon meeting her for the first time, Abhijishya had felt a sense of caution. It was similar to looking at the calm surface of a lake and not knowing how deep you could sink.
Somedays Abhijishya almost doubted her own memories regarding the traps of illusions she had encountered upon her first visit to Dwarka. How could such a sincere innocent person embody the Goddess of Maya?

Gopal had told her some outworldly things that time. Apparently Abhijishya also embodied some divine being. These years didn't make her feel any different than a regular human so Abhijishya had let it go. The concept of the divine was not suited for her mental capacity. Most days she struggled to see Krishna, Balram and Rukmini as the divine beings they were. To her, they were her family who cherished her, gave her advise when asked and loved her.

Yet for Subhadra, Abhijishya was never able to overcome her instinct completely. Over time, the sweet nature of her little sister suppressed her sense of caution. Abhijishya stayed a tad distant but quite protective of the youngest Yadu sibling.

"Jiji, what are you thinking so much about?" Abhijishya blinked, looking up to see Subhadra's curious gaze directed at her through the mirror.

"Yes, Abhijishya. You have been fiddling with those jewels for far too long. Is something troubling you?" Devaki asked concerned.

"Nothing, Mata," Abhijishya shook her head, smiling involuntarily at Devaki's worry. "I think I am a bit overwhelmed with the rush of things since last night. Here, I think this emerald studded Mathapatti would compliment the red of her wedding attire." She came over to show them the jewellery.

"Jiji, won't you put it on me yourself? Please hear this sister's request," Subhadra implored, her lips pouting out a little.

Abhijishya tapped her head lightly and chuckled. "You have been doing this since the beginning, Subhadra. I have been embellishing you entirely one jewel at a time."

"It is because she is bored of the affections of her Bhabishrees, Abhijishya. Whenever you come in Dwarka, it is always jiji this and jiji that. It is almost like we fade somewhere in the background," Mitravinda spoke as she meticulously adjusted the pleats of Jambavati.

"It is definitely not so," Subhadra protested. "Jiji doesn't get as many opportunities as you all to shower me in affections. It is only fair I let her do so whenever she comes to Dwarka."