iii.

❝ Letting it get to you

❝ Letting it get to you. You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now is all that counts. ❞

– 11th Doctor

Bonnie led a drunk but happy Caroline out of the Grill.

The demon witch tensed and glanced over her shoulder, eyes landing on the form of Damon Salvatore, more accurately the way he stared at Caroline's retreating form.

"Stay here," Bonnie hummed, directing Caroline into the front seat.

"Okay," Caroline slurred, eyes fluttering closed as she relaxed in the seat.

Bonnie stepped back into the Grill, moving to the bar and sitting beside Damon.

"New in town?" She addressed him casually, gentle and innocent smile resting on her face.

"Something like that," Damon smirked behind his glass.

"Ah," Bonnie hummed.

"How can I hep you, gorgeous?"

"It's not about how you can help me," Bonnie replied pleasantly, "It's how I can help you."

"Oh?" Damon's smirk widened.

"I can tell you how not to die."

Damon blinked and looked to her abruptly with wide eyes.

"What?"

"Keep Caroline Forbes out of your plans for revenge," Bonnie threatened, eyes crinkling shut, lashes tangling, as she smiled kindly, "And I won't have to kill you."

"Wha-"

But Bonnie was already standing and walking out of the establishment, back straight, head held high.

✕✕✕✕✕

Bonnie stepped into school the next morning, hands resting behind her back as she maneuvered smoothly around and between students.

"Bonnie!" Caroline called out, rushing to her side.

"Caroline," Bonnie greeted, a hint of confusion lacing her voice, "You're speaking to me and you're sober. You are sober, right?"

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about," Caroline began.

"Ah, alright then," Bonnie hummed.