Chapter Seventy Four

Chapter Seventy Four – Liam

Liam groans as he finally makes it back to his hotel after soundcheck, it was longer than usual due to his unexpected four days off, and he's exhausted, all he wants to do is Skype Zayn, order room service, and go to bed. He doesn't even care about a shower at this point. He forgot his phone in his room too, which annoys him, because he always feels like something bad is going to happen whenever he doesn't have the device on him. He knows it's silly but he can't help feel that way, and today was no exception. He wearily makes it across the lobby and to the elevator, leaning heavily on the mirrored wall as soon as the doors open and he steps inside. He practically sprints to his room once he arrives on his floor and unlocks the door quickly, before stumbling inside, he kicks off his shoes before making his way over to the bed where he left his phone. He scoops it up, frowning when he sees the amount of missed calls and texts, mostly from Harry, with a few from Niall. Liam flops onto the bed and reads a few of the messages quickly, his face paling with each one he reads.

From Harry: Where are you??
From Harry: He needs you
From Harry: Seriously Liam, where the bloody hell are you????
From Harry: I don't know where you are popstar, but if you don't answer me soon I'm going to come drag you home by your hair
From Harry: Liam, please, answer your phone, we need you. Zayn needs you

From Niall: ANSWER YOUR FUCKING PHONE LIAM!
From Niall: Seriously mate, Zayn needs you
From Niall: Don't make me sick Josh on you...

Zayn needs him, but Liam can't figure out why, or what's happened since he spoke to him before soundcheck, he feels like he's going to be sick though, so he quickly dials Zayn's number but it goes straight to voicemail. Groaning Liam hangs up and scrolls through his phone until he finds Harry's number and quickly presses call, it rings twice before Harry picks up, his voice strained “finally” he mutters, and Liam sighs. “I'm sorry, I forgot my phone, what's going on?” he asks concerned . Harry chuckles humourlessly, “that explains why Louis couldn't reach you either” he mumbles, “Harry what's going on, why did you and Niall call me fifty times each and text me too. Why won't Zayn answer his phone?” he asks confused, chewing on his bottom lip. Harry lets out a shaky breath over the phone but doesn't say anything and Liam is growing more concerned and impatient with every second that passes in silence. Harry inhales sharply “there, there was an accident, some-someone ran Zayn down in the street, right outside the apartment. I, he needs you Liam...you have to come home” Harry stutters. Liam feels all the blood drain from his face, and everything goes blurry, Harry can't be serious, that was minutes after he spoke to Zayn, this can't be happening, Zayn's fine. “I-I, H-Harry, is he ok?” he asks shakily. He can hear Harry sigh, “I don't know Liam, he's pretty banged up, and they say he's in a coma. The doctors are sure he'll survive, but they don't...they don't know when he'll wake up” Harry murmurs. Liam wants to scream, and cry, and be sick, but he can't not right now anyways, he needs to get to Zayn, right away, he needs Louis, he needs, he doesn't even know, “I, just talked to him” he says and he knows it's stupid but it's all he can think of to say, Harry sighs, “yeah, probably right before it happened. I'm sorry Liam” he murmurs. “This isn't your fault, ok. I'll talk to Lou, we'll be home as soon as we can be yea?” he asks. Harry sighs again, “yea, and Liam this isn't your fault either. There's one more thing but I think it's best if I wait until you're here to tell you. We'll see you soon” Harry says before he hangs up the phone.

Liam growls in frustration both at whatever it is Harry isn't telling him yet, and at the situation in general, Zayn, his Zayn is laying unconscious in a hospital because someone tried to hurt him. He doesn't even think about it, doesn't stop to remember his shoes, Liam just wrenches open the hotel room door and dashes across the hall to the room he knows Louis is occupying, banging furiously on the door. He feels the first tears slip down his cheeks, before it's just a steady stream flowing from his eyes as he pounds on his best friend's door, he needs him right now, for so many different reasons. “LOUIS! Open this fucking door” Liam yells, his voice sounding strained even to his own ears, before he just slumps forward leaning on the door. When it opens Liam falls forward, but Louis catches him in his arms before he hits the floor, “oh Li” Louis murmurs, pulling him close and squeezing him tightly. Liam weakly pushes at Louis' arms for a minute, fighting the hug, but he needs it, needs the comfort, needs his best friend Louis, not the Louis who works for him, and that's exactly who this is. “He..I...just talked to him, my Z-Zayn” Liam stutters, his words coming out as broken as his thoughts, Louis shushes him gently, “I know, I know Li” he murmurs still hugging Liam and stroking his hair. Liam is feeling himself relax, before Louis guides him into the room to sit on a chair, Louis pulls away and Liam wants to protest it, but can't make himself form the words, but he's back a moment later with a bottle of water passing it to Liam.