Chapter Thirty One

Chapter Thirty One – Zayn

Zayn bites his lip as he stands in Mr. Jackson’s office, it’s closing and he can hear Harry and James finishing up downstairs, Mr. Jackson eyes him before holding out his hand, “your keys Malik” he says sternly and Zayn’s mouth drops open “w-what sir, I-I don’t” he stammers. Mr. Jackson shakes his head, “you’ve been off your game tonight and you’re fired, give me your keys” he says again cutting Zayn off, “you can’t be serious, one bad night and you fire me?” he asks incredulously and Mr. Jackson laughs and nods, “yes, and I suggest you hurry up before I fire your little friends too” he sneers. Zayn is in shock as he reaches into his pocket pulling out his keys to the restaurant and dropping them into his now ex-boss’ outstretched hand, “thank you, you may go” he says turning away from Zayn. Zayn numbly walks back downstairs to see Harry, James and Niall all waiting for him by the door, he swallows thickly and walks outside, “Zayn, what happened up there, are you ok?” James asks concerned and Zayn shakes his head, “no, no I’m not ok, and what happened up there is I got fired” he murmurs a few tears falling from his eyes as the others gasp behind him. “What, fired, why?” Harry demands and Zayn shakes his head “apparently I was off my game tonight” Zayn answers pitching his voice low to sound like Mr. Jackson, “so he fired you?” Niall asks sounding confused and Zayn nods. They reach their cars and Zayn climbs into the passenger side of Harry’s car curling into his seat, as the others talk outside the car. He registers the words bastard and I’ll kill him, but otherwise doesn’t hear much of their conversation, and suddenly Harry is climbing into the driver’s side and starting the car.

Harry doesn’t say anything on the drive home and Zayn is grateful because at the moment he’s having a hard time wrapping his head around what just happened, he’s just lost his job, and he’s not sure what he’s going to do now. Harry parks in their space and they silently climb out of the car and make their way up the four flights of stairs and to their apartment. It hits him as Harry’s unlocking the door and tripping into the entrance (like usual) that the situation hits Zayn full force, he’s lost his only source of income, and without his half of the rent, he and Harry aren’t going to be able to pay for the apartment and will find themselves homeless in a month or so. “Zee, I don’t know what bullshit reason he gave for firing you, but you’re the best employee he’s ever had, you didn’t deserve to be fired Zayn” Harry murmurs pulling Zayn into his arms, Zayn shrugs, “the apartment Haz, I can’t pay my half” he murmurs and Harry shakes his head, “don’t worry about that now, ok, why don’t you go get packed, we’ll leave first thing for mum’s” Harry soothes and Zayn nods, before woodenly heading into his room. As soon as he closes the door his phone starts to ring, it’s Liam’s ringtone and he feels himself relaxing, just slightly at the sound.

“Hello…?” he murmurs as soon as he presses talk, “hey, babe” Liam replies and Zayn flops onto his bed, suddenly exhausted. “How was your show?” Zayn asks quietly, biting his cheek to hold back the tears threatening to spill over, “it was alright, but Zayn what’s wrong baby, you sound off” Liam murmurs, and that’s when Zayn stops fighting the emotions he’s been holding in since he was in that office. Zayn shudders a breath as he starts to cry, “I-I-I got f-fired t-tonight” he stutters, sniffling some as the tears fall unstoppably down his face, “shit, baby, that’s, that’s terrible. What happened?” Liam coos. Zayn wipes his nose and face on the back of his hand, “I don’t know, h-he said I was off tonight and then demanded m-my keys and told me I was f-fired” Zayn sobs “aww baby, that’s terrible yeah, I wish I was there for you right now. Is Harry home?” he asks soothingly and Zayn bites his lip, “y-yeah” he breathes. Liam makes a noise Zayn’s never heard before “alright listen, when we get off the phone I want you to go and stay with Harry, I don’t want you to be alone. And you’re going to his mum’s tomorrow right?” Liam asks, “o-ok and yea we are” Zayn answers picking at his fingers. Liam sighs in the phone, “when are you back love?” he asks gently, Zayn pulls at his hair “Monday afternoon I think” he murmurs, “alright, I’m going to get Louis to switch your flight out here to Tuesday morning, and I want you to come out here early, alright?” Liam says and Zayn hears him typing on something, probably already talking to Louis on his other phone. “You don’t have to do that Li, I’ll be fine” he protests, “no Zee I want you to be here with me, you need me, and I can’t come to you right now, but I can bring you to me” he says fiercely and Zayn feels his argument die on his tongue.

Liam goes quiet after this comment and Zayn doesn’t really know what to do or say, “Zayn, I don’t want to make your night even worse, but I need to tell you something” Liam sighs, Zayn is suddenly nervous whatever this is it can’t be good. He takes a calming breath “what is it Li?” he asks and hears him sigh “Eleanor called a bunch of Paps to come take pictures of me leaving the venue tonight…with Lexie. They’re going to be in all the papers tomorrow, I, I just wanted you to be prepared” Liam rushes and Zayn feels like laughing, if that’s all it is, “that’s it Li? I thought you were going to tell me something terrible, I’ve been waiting for these pictures for most of the week” he practically laughs and can hear Liam relaxing on the other end of the phone, “I thought you were gonna be upset” Liam sighs and Zayn chuckles for the first time all night, “it’s going to be a regular thing, until we come out together, so I don’t see the point in letting it get to me” Zayn replies. Liam breathes loudly “you’re the best, I can’t wait for you to be here, and meet Lux, and Lou, and even Lexie, and Little Mix” he says and Zayn laughs again “I can’t wait to meet all of them, but especially see you, management’s not going to be pissed I’m coming early are they?” he asks and Liam scoffs, “I don’t really care what they think at this point” he snarls and Zayn chuckles, as Liam lets out a yawn. Zayn sobers up, “you’re tired Li, go get some rest and I’ll talk to you later” Zayn murmurs “yea, fine, I miss you, but I’ll see you on Tuesday, stay with Harry” Liam says, “I will, miss you too, night Liam” he murmurs, “night Zee” Liam answers and they both hang up.

Zayn tosses his phone onto his bed and heads out in search of Harry to tell him that he thinks he’ll be ok and about the sudden change of travel plans regarding visiting Liam. He finds Harry on his laptop in the kitchen, sipping on a cup of tea, he turns when he hears Zayn come in and smiles slightly, “I made you tea” he murmurs gesturing to the other mug beside him. Zayn sips it gratefully as he sits across from Harry, “Liam called me” he starts and Harry chuckles and turns his computer slightly so he can see Louis on the screen “hey Zayn, sorry about your job, I switched your flight already I guess we’ll see you Tuesday” Louis calls waving and Zayn laughs waving back, “yea I guess, thanks Louis” he answers as Louis waves him off. “It’s kinda my job” Louis reminds him and Zayn chuckles nodding, he decides to leave the two alone to say goodnight and wanders to the living room to drink his tea. Harry joins him a couple minutes later, sitting quietly beside him, “I’ve been thinking Zee” he starts, pausing to take a deep breath, “didn’t your parents leave you a quarter of their money and stuff?” he asks gently and Zayn nods, understanding where he’s going with this, but that’s not an option, his older sister made sure he knew he would never see a dime when she and the others turned their backs on him. “Yea, but you remember what Doniya said” Zayn sighs and Harry nods, “I know, but legally she can’t do that, if you took her to court you could get what is rightfully yours, you’d be set until you find another job” he explains. Zayn snorts “even if I wanted to, I can’t afford to take her to court, and I don’t want it, I don’t want any of it, I’ll deliver pizzas or work at McDonalds, but I’m not doing that” he says fiercely, Harry raises his hands in surrender “ok, it was just a thought Zee” he murmurs, as Zayn relaxes on the couch again.

Zayn wakes up on the couch though he doesn’t remember falling asleep, the sun is streaming through the curtains and he can hear Harry in the kitchen banging around. Standing up he follows the sounds and finds Harry making a quick breakfast, he turns when he hears Zayn, “morning Zee, you packed to go?” he asks and Zayn nods, he had packed before work yesterday, Harry grins, “good eat something and we’ll head out” he chirps making Zayn chuckle as he grabs for the bagel Harry is holding out to him. They eat in relative silence and Zayn finishes quickly, jumping up to grab his bag and brush his teeth, when he returns Harry is standing at the door spinning his keys on his index finger as he waits, “took you long enough” he teases and Zayn rolls his eyes sticking out his tongue in response. Zayn practically sprints down the stairs and Harry is panting by the time he catches up with him at the car “what’s your hurry?” he gasps and Zayn shrugs, “I just wanna get outta here” he mumbles Harry nods in complete understanding and Zayn is once again grateful for their long friendship and Harry knowing him inside and out. They climb in the car and Zayn switches the radio so it’s playing Liam’s CD as Harry pulls out on to the road.