Chapter Seventy Five

Chapter Seventy Five – Harry

Harry's chewing on his thumb as he paces the hallway outside Zayn's room, several doctors and nurses had come crashing into Zayn's room a few minutes ago kicking himself and Niall out, while they check over Zayn. Niall has disappeared to where Harry's not sure, but Harry refuses to leave the hallway, let alone the floor. The door opens and one of the doctors steps out into the hall, Harry looks at him with hopeful eyes, but he shakes his head, “I'm sorry, your friend is stable but there's no change yet” the doctor says before he disappears around the corner of the hall. Harry wants to scream in frustration, he's angry about the whole situation, because it was completely avoidable. He's also completely confused about the last thing Zayn had said to him before he completely lost consciousness, “Eleanor” surely as crazy as she was, there's no way she would organize something like this, is there? Harry's so caught up in his thoughts he doesn't see anyone approaching and jumps when cool fingers wrap around his wrist, pulling his thumb from his mouth. “Gemma?” he asks slowly, she nods smiling lightly, and Harry pulls her into a tight hug, “Mum's parking the car” she mumbles, Harry hears her but he doesn't respond, he's not ready to say anything, telling Liam had been hard enough and he's not in a hurry to repeat any of the information about Zayn any time soon.

“How is he?” Gemma asks, leading Harry over to a couple chairs in the hallway. Harry shrugs his shoulders and rubs at his eyes, he's been crying so much that he knows they're probably bright red and puffy, “no different. But they keep telling me he's stable, so I guess that's good, right?” he asks. Gemma sighs and nods her head, “yea stable is good” she answers, rubbing Harry's arm. Niall returns then, leading Anne down the hall and carrying a tray of hot drinks, “I figured we could use 'em, and I found your mum on the way back” he says by way of explanation. Harry doesn't get a chance to respond as he's being pulled to his feet and into the familiar embrace of his mum, she smells like home and Harry can't help it, he can't hold himself together any longer, he feels the tears streak down his cheeks, and there's nothing he can do to stop them. “Shh” Anne coos holding him tightly and rocking them slightly, “let it out baby, but you know how strong Zayn is, he'll pull through this” she adds. Harry nods against her shoulder before pulling away and rubbing his face with his sleeve. He sees Niall and Gemma speaking quietly to each other in the chairs and is grateful that for once the pair aren't arguing. Niall looks up at him then and sends him a tight smile,”Josh just sent me a text, they're on their way” he says. Harry nods because he doesn't think he can say anything else, not now. But he's glad that Liam will be here soon, maybe his voice can bring Zayn back. More than anything though, as selfish as it is, he can't wait to be back in Louis' arms, he needs his boyfriend's comfort now, more than ever.

The door to Zayn's room opens again a few minutes later and the rest of the doctors and nurses file out, Zayn's main nurse, a sweet younger woman named Holly stops in front of Harry, “you can go back in now” she murmurs, and Harry nods. “If you need anything just call, alright?” she adds, Harry smiles “thank you” he mumbles, and then she's gone. Harry doesn't waste any time and is back in Zayn's room in a few quick steps, he can hear Niall, his mum and Gemma following behind him as he slips back into his chair beside Zayn's bed, but he doesn't really pay attention to them. He hears Gemma gasp as her eyes land on Zayn's broken, and bruised body, and that's when he turns to look at them, “I know right?” he croaks out, as Niall wraps an arm around Gemma to comfort her, he feels Anne rest a hand on his shoulder and squeeze gently. Harry reaches up with his right hand to place it over top of hers as he leans more into her touch, “Zayn please” he murmurs, using his left hand to squeeze Zayn's hand, gently, “please, come back, wherever you are right now, just please we need you, I need you, just come back” he pleads,his voice cracking slightly.

The room falls silent after that, except for Niall offering everyone the drinks he bought, Harry manages to take a sip and then forgets about the cup entirely as soon as he sets it down. The room stays that way until there's a loud commotion coming from the hallway that makes Harry furrow his eyebrows. He gets up and carefully makes his way to the door opening it slowly and peeking outside to be met with the large form of one of Liam's security team, he thinks his name is Alec but he's not entirely sure. He sees Josh next, the drummer's eyes scanning the hallway quickly until they land on Harry and he smiles tightly, “hey Ni?” Harry calls back into the room, “come here” he adds. Niall is quickly by his side a tired smile breaking out over his face at the sight of his boyfriend, and he pushes past Harry into the hall to throw himself at Josh. Harry smiles at the pair, despite everything, they are pretty adorable, he sees Perrie next and she smiles at him before just stopping to lean on the wall beside Alec. Louis is the next person to appear and Harry can't stop himself, much like Niall, he's launching himself at Louis as soon as the older is close enough.