0 | The Fool

Note: This book does not follow the original Fruits Basket plot

A long, long time ago, before the Sohmas and all the tragedies that happened with them, there was God and his Zodiacs

A long, long time ago, before the Sohmas and all the tragedies that happened with them, there was God and his Zodiacs. They were close. Close enough to ensure that their bonds would remain unbroken even as they reincarnated over and over.

One fine day, God decided to hold a banquet. He invited everyone and they were all honored to receive such an invitation.

En route to the venue, the Rat decided to ride out the rest of the journey on the oblivious Cow's back, leaping off when they neared the place, so he'd reach the banquet first.

Or so he thought.

Unbeknownst to the others, the lucky Fox had discovered a path no one else had ever taken and traveled alone, arriving way ahead of the others.

He waited patiently outside, ignoring the harsh heat of the sun beating down his back, waiting quietly even as his tongue dried with thirst after his journey. The Fox knew that he was hours too early, but politely chose to wait outside rather than bother his adored host.

Hours later, he was found by God, who approved of his efforts and allowed him to enter first and greet the others.

Everyone was surprised to see him there near the entryway, and some of the others grew envious of the Fox's good luck.

However, the Fox's warmth and sincerity was enough to wash away the jealousy that had taken root in their hearts. With new smiles, the others rejoined the party and enjoyed themselves until it was over.

Everyone had a good time. Everyone except the Cat.

He was misled by the Rat, who told him that the banquet was to be held the day after, and missed the rare event.

Because of this, the Cat held a grudge against the Rat who lied to him. They fought every time they saw each other, and maybe if the Cat won, he'd be accepted into the circle again.

And for many years to come, this became an occurrence that repeated over,

and over,

and over,

again.