15 | The Devil

(Y/N) stopped visiting Akito altogether, and Akito didn't try to summon her either

She wondered if that meant that Akito was now thinking clearly and regretting her actions. Either that or she was spiraling further into her possessive, deranged state and was too busy to call for (Y/N), thinking up of new ways to keep the Zodiacs tethered to her side.

The second one seemed more likely.

(Y/N) didn't know what to feel about that. On one hand, if Akito's mental state really was worsening, (Y/N) should be at her side to help her, as insisted by the Fox Spirit possessing her body.

For now, she decided to enjoy her newfound freedom. She went where she pleased and spent more time with the other members of the Zodiac.

Today, she, Yuki, Kyo, and Tohru were having a picnic in the woods.

It was Shigure who had suggested that they go outside to enjoy "the bright, unexpectedly gorgeous day".

At that, Tohru mentioned that having lunch out in the forest would be nice, and the rest agreed to go, except Shigure himself, whom (Y/N) suspected was off to visit Akito again.

She went out to look for a good spot while the others prepared the food. All three of them had volunteered to come with her, but she assured them that she'd be fine and set off on her own.

So there she was, trekking through the woods, looking around for a suitable place to have a picnic.

It really was a beautiful day outside. The sun was shining brightly, yet the atmosphere was just perfectly warm for a stroll.

Animals were rushing about, darting across branches and flying through the air. (Y/N) wondered briefly if she would find a fox in these woods, then remembered sadly that they didn't live in the area.

After a few more minutes of searching, she had found it.

A small section of the forest floor, partially covered by fallen leaves. It was flat, without rocks or stones, and near the river. Cool, fresh air breezed through, scattering some of the fallen leaves.

Best of all, it was under a spare clump of trees, and was illuminated beautifully by the warm sunlight streaming through spaces between the branches.

(Y/N) surveyed the area carefully, then walked back to Shigure's house when she had finished her inspection.

"I have found a worthy spot." she declared, entering dramatically. "Not too far from here."

Tohru, who was arranging food inside a basket, smiled up at her. "Thank you, (Y/N)-san! We're nearly done with the food."

She gestured over to the kitchen, where Kyo and Yuki were transferring various dishes into containers.

(Y/N) helped them, and they finished their preparations in no time. She led the group into the woods, to the perfect picnic spot she had found.

"Woah!" Tohru marvelled, looking around. "This is great, (Y/N)-san!"

"Near the river too," commented Yuki.

"Nice." Kyo nodded to show his approval, then pulled out the blanket and spread it over the small area.

They settled down happily, passing food around from one person to another after they had said their prayers.

It was nice. Quiet, and peaceful.

"When I was little," Tohru told them, after she had finished eating. "My mother used to take me to this park near our home."

(Y/N), Yuki, and Kyo listened intently.

"She and I would look around the park, at all those strangers meeting there," Tohru continued, smiling wistfully.

"And we'd make guesses. About them. What those people were like."

She exhaled slowly, her lips trembling slightly. "I miss her."

For a few seconds they were silent, with nothing but the chirping of birds and the rustling of leaves filling their space.

"We can still do that." (Y/N) told them as she finished up her food, breaking the silence. "With each other. The four of us."

Kyo frowned. "We aren't strangers."

"Well, we can still make guesses about each other," suggested Yuki with a tilt of his head. "It'll be fun, at least."

Tohru sat up eagerly, her eyes shining with enthusiasm. "Can we?"

"Sure," (Y/N) affirmed, wiping her mouth before speaking. "I'll go first."

She pointed at Kyo. "You. Kyo, you secretly like tea, don't you?"

Kyo nodded. "Only because shishou used to brew it all the time."

"Shishou?" asked Tohru.

"My mentor and martial arts teacher."

"Oh, okay!" Tohru nodded. "Your turn, Kyo-kun."

He mumbled something, before turning to speak in Yuki's direction. "Oi, Rat. You like blue, right?"

Yuki gave him a surprised smile. "That's right... I suppose it's my turn. Honda-san, you met Hanajima-san and Uotani-san in middle school?"

Tohru nodded. "Yep! My turn!"

She smiled widely, and the three Sohmas were glad to see it.

Tohru Honda was kind, thoughtful, and caring. Being with her really changed all of them. If anyone deserved to be happy, it would be her.

They stayed that way for quite some time, throwing around their own guesses about the others, with the breeze cooling their faces as they lay on a blanket underneath a clump of trees.

(Y/N)'s heart was warm. Being with the others made her happier than she had ever been in a long time.

"I'm glad," she blurted out, and the other three turned to face her. "That I met all of you. That I met you, Honda-san... I'm glad we're all friends."

"Then we'll be friends forever." Tohru promised, smiling back at her. (Y/N) wondered if she knew about their possible future.

Yuki, who was lounging against an tree trunk, chuckled lightly at this and agreed, "Forever it is then."

"Forever, huh?" Kyo mumbled thoughtfully.

(Y/N) smiled. "Forever."

ᴢᴏᴅɪᴀᴄ ᴄʟᴜᴇꜱ

ᴢᴏᴅɪᴀᴄ ᴄʟᴜᴇꜱ

• Shigure was, in fact visiting Akito.
• Ayame was sneaking up on them in his snake form, and was pleasantly surprised when he saw them all getting along.

Thanks for reading!