10 | Wheel of Fortune

Dinner was as tense as (Y/N) expected it to be

After she and Haru finished their preparations, Tohru woke up and helped them set the table, kindly rejecting their attempts to convince her to rest.

"Stay in bed for a bit, Honda-san," pleaded (Y/N) as she transferred the soup into bowls. "Haru and I got this. Would you like me to bring your food to the room? Please just rest for now."

"I'm alright, (Y/N)-san," Tohru insisted, moving to help her. "I really do feel well."

She smiled warmly. "Thank you for being so concerned about me, (Y/N)-san... That makes me so happy... And... I really want to eat dinner with everyone."

(Y/N) felt a pang of guilt as she eyed the bandages on Tohru's head.

"Alright," she conceded, silently checking out Tohru's condition. "Thank you for helping us, Honda-san."

Haru said nothing as Tohru and (Y/N) talked, moving around the kitchen briskly as he put the finishing touches on their dinner.

The three of them worked in silence, each deep in their own thoughts.

Haru also seemed like he was troubled by something, but he was also somehow well aware of his surroundings, for he was the first one to notice Yuki standing near the kitchen entrance.

Yuki had been listening in for a little while before he decided to help out, stealthy as a rat, going unnoticed until Haru turned away from the rice he was preparing and looked straight at him.

"Hello, Yuki." Haru greeted, studying him with a neutral expression.

"Hello," Yuki nodded slightly. "(Y/N). Honda-san. I'm glad you're feeling better."

"Yuki-kun! We're almost done. Sorry to keep you waiting," apologized Tohru.

"It's alright, Honda-san." Yuki and (Y/N) said in unison, glancing back at each other in surprise.

"Well," Haru cut in. "Dinner's ready. I'll go call Kagura and Kyo."

"I'm here." announced Kagura, standing by the stairs, looking at Tohru with a certain blankness in her eyes.

She looked pale, though less pale and tense than before. Now she somehow seemed... both exhausted and filled with determination.

(Y/N) wondered what happened.

The four of them went over to the table and took their seats, just as the door slid open and cold air blew inside.

"We're home," announced Shigure as he and Kyo stepped through the door. He smiled at the food on the table. "I see you've made dinner. Great job."

His smile widened slightly as he spotted Kagura. "Oh hello, Kagura. Didn't know you were coming to visit."

"Ah, good evening!" Kagura greeted, forcing herself to sound chipper. "Hi, Kyo-kun!"