22 | The End

After centuries of reincarnations, the Tale of the Zodiac finally ends

Invigorating sunlight. A cozy bed. The warmth of a loved one by her side.

A second chance.

Rin Sohma did not think she deserved these things, not after what she did, but everyone around her seemed to think differently. They had already forgiven her, so why couldn't she forgive herself?

Rin just couldn't understand how easy it was for them to forget everything that had happened. For years, she had struggled to accept it and move on. How could she? How could they? All of them were the same; just unfortunate soul who had spent most of their lives being vessels to the spirits of the Zodiac.

And now they weren't. It was different now. The spirits who had been with them since birth were gone, and nothing was left behind. Even their "unbreakable" bonds, all of it had vanished that day. Now, they were all finally, unquestionably, human. Just like ordinary people.

"Morning." It was Haru. Calling her, slipping through her thoughts and saving her from herself like he always did. "What are you frowning about?"

Though a small voice in her mind told her she shouldn't, Rin couldn't help but lean into his touch.

"It's today, isn't it? The... anniversary."

Her partner nodded, reaching up to stroke her hair. He was holding her so lovingly, Rin felt her throat close up with emotion. "Can't believe it's been five years... We're invited again this year, did you know that?"

Haru was silent for a while, and Rin wondered if he was reliving that moment when he burst into Akito's room to confront her, only to find Rin there with blood on her hands and a horrified expression on her face.

There wasn't a trace of bad intentions in the smile he had given her. "Do you want to go?"

Those were horrible memories, but they were just that. Memories. It had been 5 years since; maybe it was time to finally move on.

She may not deserve it, but she had been given a second chance. A chance to live, an opportunity to be with the one she loved most.

To be with the one who had been with her through it all, when everyone, when anyone else would've abandoned her.