11 | Justice

When (Y/N) Sohma arrived at Shigure's house after Haru had left, she was overcome with a sudden desire to talk to Yuki

This was most likely triggered by Haru's quiet, thoughtful behavior tonight, reminding her of the grey-haired Rat.

Kagura and Kyo were still on the rooftop. Shigure was in his study and Tohru was most likely asleep. This was one of her only chances to talk to Yuki without the others knowing.

What could I talk to him about? she asked herself, racking her brain for topics they would both be invested in.

This is dumb, she thought, climbing the stairs morosely. He wants nothing to do with me. I probably remind him of...

She huffed, her features assembling themselves into a frown.

Why would I talk to him?

Even since they were children, (Y/N) and Yuki had a strange relationship.

Both of them spent most of their childhood at Akito's side, accompanying the head of the family until he was everything they knew and everything their worlds revolved around.

Even back then, all (Y/N) yearned for was Akito's approval.

Like a true Fox, she excelled in various fields. But none of that mattered, because every moment of her young life, the servants, workers, and everyone around her instilled into her that having God's acknowledgement was the only thing the defined the Fox.

But for some reason, Akito favored Yuki.

At first, (Y/N) hated him for it.

But Akito's dismissal of her efforts ended up being the thing that freed her from him.

She realized that she could still survive without his approval. That he wasn't the one she was supposed to live for, no matter what others said.

One afternoon, she snuck out, prompting Yuki to follow her. She found a boy, drowning, and she saved him.

The boy became her friend. Kyo.

Then she started sneaking out more, whenever Akito was asleep or unwell. Asking permission to go to her classes then spending time with the other Zodiacs after.

Then she and Yuki met Shigure. He freed Yuki, and became (Y/N)'s mentor.

Yuki hated being trapped in there, and (Y/N) knew that, but in her yearning for Akito's approval, she ignored him. Maybe he resented her for that.

She inhaled deeply, standing in front of Yuki's door.

"Yuki?" she called, raising his hand to knock. "Sorry to disturb you... are you awake?"

No answer.

"I just wanted to say that-" she tried again. "That I'm sorry. For... you know. You know what I'm sorry for."