Chapter Two: A Hoenn Adventure

Our pair are at the Pokémon Lab awaiting their assignment from the Professor. Ash and Pikachu are impatiently waiting as usual. They can't stand still. Gou is looking at his feet, desperately trying not to look at Ash.

"If I don't look at him, maybe the feelings will go away." He stupidly thinks to himself.

"Are you OK?" Ash says leaning over to make eye contact.

Gou jumps back: "Y-Yeah! I'm fine I'm fine!"

"Are you sure? You've been acting weird lately." Ash asks concerned.

"Seriously! I'm fine!" Gou insists.

"Oh...OK!" Ash responds solemnly looking at Pikachu who looks equally confused.

"Morning Boys!" Hailed Professor Cerise.

"Morning Professor!" Ash and Gou respond in unison.

"I have an assignment for you today!" Professor Cerise declares. "I need you to research the migration patterns of Beautifly in the Hoenn region."

"Migration patterns of Beautifly?" Gou quizzes.

"Yes! I need you and Ash to observe a flock of Beautifly in Petelburg Forest. It'll be good experience for you both."

"This is great! We're going back to Hoenn, Pikachu! We can visit May and Max" Ash celebrates.

"Pika Pi!" Pikachu cheers.

"May and Max?" Gou asks.

"Yeah! They travelled with us while we were in the Hoenn Region. It'll be great to see them again!"

"Great! Now, go and get ready. Your flight leaves tonight."

"Right!" The boys respond in unison again.

******************************

Our pair are at home, packing their bags before heading to the airport. Ash, in typical fashion is rushing around, throwing clothes and other things haphazardly into his bag, stuffing his bag as full as he can.

Gou on the other hand, is preparing his bag more tidely. Folding clothes to maximise space.

"Gou! Hurry up!" Ash instructs impatiently.

"Uh huh!" Gou replies in monotone. He's too busy thinking. He has to sit next to Ash for hours on their flight. They'll be in close quarters while researching the Beautifly. Before it wouldn't have mattered. Nothing strange about it. But now...with his newly developed feelings. It's going to make things so much harder.

How will he cope? He has to keep his feelings in check. He's trying so hard to bury his feelings but it's so difficult. Ash is such a pain, but, he's also funny and sweet and cute and...

"NO NO NO! STOP IT! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" Gou screams covering his ears, closing his eyes and shaking his head. Why won't these feelings go away!? Why can't he...

Gou suddenly opens his eyes, and slowly turns round to see Ash, Pikachu and Raboot staring at him. They look very confused.

" Gou..." Ash starts. "Are you really sure that you're OK? You've not been yourself. If somethings bothering you, you can talk to me."

"I-I'm fine!" Gou replies.

"But Gou!" Ash presses.

"I said I'm fine, will you just drop it!" Gou demands storming out of the room.

"...OK!" Ash responds. Still confused but quite taken aback by Gou's sudden outburst. "What's gotten into him?" He asks Pikachu and Raboot rhetorically.

**************************
At the Airport

"Ash! Come on!" Gou says in frustration.

"Airports are so cool! Wow! Look at all the planes. They're huge!" Ash shouts in amazement.

"Pika!" Pikachu cheers showing agreement.

"Hmph..." Gou scoffs. "We will miss our flight if you don't get a move on, idiot!"

"We've got plenty of time, Gou! Relax!" Ash insists.

*Bing*

Passengers for Latios Airlines, flight 2671 to Rustboro City. Departure time 21:41. Immediate boarding please at gate 17.

"Ash! Seriously! Come on!" Gou demands grabbing his arm and pulling him through the airport.

Ash, being Ash is resisting. "There's still time, would you calm down!?" He says trying to pull away from Gou's grip.

"No! We're not missing this flight because of you!" Gou insists.

"Argh! You're squeezing my arm too hard!" Ash complains still trying to pull away. Ash is digging his heels in, he's desperate to break free. Using sheer force, he pulls his arm which wrestles free from Gou's grip. As Ash pulls his arm away, Gou tries to re-catch his arm. However, the timing meant that he didn't grab Ash's arm, but his hand instead.

For a split second, their fingers are intertwined. It sends a tingling feeling down Gou's spine which made him panic. He quickly pulls his hand away. His heart is pounding. His hand feels all sweaty. That was a close call.

"That hurt, Gou!" Ash complains.

Gou huffs

*Bing*

Attention please. This is a final boarding call. Passengers for Latios Airlines, flight 2671 to Rustboro City, are kindly requested to proceed to the gate for immediate boarding, at number 17.

Gou growls. He's getting angry now.

"Look Ash! I'm not missing this flight because of you! I'm getting on that flight with or without you!" Gou shouts. He turns and walks briskly towards the gate.

"Gou! Wait up!" Ash begs running after him...