Chapter Seventeen: Why Is He Crying?

"Why are you crying?" Gou asks.

"I'm sorry, Gou! I'm so so sorry!" Ash cries.

Gou pulls himself away from the hug and looks at Ash's tear stained face.

"Why the hell are you apologising? If anything, I should be apologising to you!" Gou insists.

"But...I completely ruined everything! I should have kept my mouth shut!" Ash replies.

"What are you talking about!?" Gou asks.

"It's just...for a while, I've been having these feelings for you and I was getting the sense that maybe you felt the same way. So, I decided that I wanted to tell you. Then, when you said no, I just felt so stupid and embarrassed because I completely mis-read everything. I didn't mean to ruin everything!" Ash cries. The tears starting to fall again.

"No! You didn't ruin anything! This is my fault. I panicked when you told me! The thing is though..." Gou takes a breath. "... I've been having feelings for you too!"

"You have!?" Ash interrupts in shock.

"But, it really scared me. I decided to suppress my feelings because I didn't want them." Gou explains.

"You don't want those feelings?" Ash quizzes.

"Well, it's just...I've never had feelings like that before and it freaked me out. I was scared that it was going to disrupt my plans and because I didn't know what you'd think and I didn't want you to think I was a freak!" Gou chuckles nervously.

"So... How do you feel now?" Ash enquires.

"I...I don't know!" Gou responds.

"You don't know?" Ash responds.

"Well...I can't explain it rea~" Gou starts but is interrupted by Ash kissing him.

What the hell!? Ash is kissing him! Gou is shocked and surprised. He isn't quite sure how to react. But...

Ash's lips are so soft. A tingling feeling travels down Gou's spine. It's scary, but in a good way. It makes him light-headed.

Everything around them gets blurred out.

Ash moves his hand round Gou's back. The feeling of Ash's fingers lightly caressing Gou's back makes him quiver. Gou's immediate instinct is to pull away, but, the kiss feels so good. It feels so right. It feels like it should have happened ages ago.

Wait!

Is this what it feels like? To be loved by someone? Is this the feeling Gou has been suppressing this whole time?

Ash lightly pulls away from the kiss. Gou feels a little disappointed. He didn't want to stop.

"I'm sorry, I just wan~" Ash is interrupted by Gou kissing him.

Gou doesn't care anymore. He didn't want that kiss to end. He doesn't want this feeling to end. Gou always felt he was missing something and maybe this was it. This is what he's been missing.

Ash is just...so perfect. He's a joy to be around. Goes a mile a minute, loves Pokémon and always great company. What's not to love about Ash?

Gou pulls himself away from the kiss.

"What's wrong?" Ash asks.

"It's just...what does this mean?" Gou responds.

"What do you mean?" Ash asks.

"Well...are we...dating now?" Gou enquires.

"Do you want to?" Ash replies.

"Do you want to?" Gou says reflecting the question back.

"I asked you first. What do you think?" Ash reflects back.

"I...I don't know. I've never thought about it before." Gou replies.

"Well, maybe we should go on a date." Ash declares. "Tomorrow!"

"OK!" Gou accepts.

"So what now?" Ash asks. "Do we head back to the house?"

Gou ponders for a moment: "... Nah! Let's enjoy the stars!"

"That'd be nice!" Ash nods in agreement. "Coming to join us, buddy!?"

"Pika!" Pikachu cheers as he makes his way up the tree to join them.

Ash leans in against Gou as they both watch the stars. Gou's heart is thumping. It's so nerve-wracking. Watching the stars was his idea.

But why is he nervous? He is the one who decided to kiss Ash back. He is the one who agreed to go on a date, and yet, he's still nervous.

"So you've rectified things I see!" Says a voice which makes Ash and Gou jump.
Looking down, they see Professor Kukui looking up at them and smiling.

"How did you find us?" Gou inquires.

"I was checking on the the baby and noticed that you and Pikachu were gone so, decided to see if you had found Ash. I assumed he hadn't moved!" Professor Kukui explains.

"Wait! So, you knew I was here?" Ash asks.

"Yeah! I saw you up that tree when we were all out earlier, but I knew you weren't ready to come home so, kept quiet!" Professor Kukui chuckles.

"Nothing gets passed you, does it!" Gou snarks.

"Nope! Now come on! We're all heading back!" Professor Kukui instructs.

Our pair, along with Pikachu, climb down the tree. Which is miles easier than climbing up it, and walk with Professor Kukui back to the house. Gou feels a little embarrassed. He feels like he's done something wrong and getting lead home to his parents. He also feels embarrassed because he's sure that Professor Kukui saw them kissing.

"So, how much of the conversation did you hear?" Ash asks breaking the silence.

"Not an awful lot, just some of it..." Professor Kukui replies.

"So, all of it then!" Ash continues.

"Yeah!" Professor Kukui confesses. "It wasn't my intention. I must've woke up just after Gou left the house to find you."

Gou's face turns a little red. It's embarrassing that his first kiss had a witness. He's never kissed anyone before. He's sure he didn't do it well, and it's worse that there was a witness to it.

But...something more strange is about to happen. He's going on a date with Ash.

How the hell does that work? What does he do? Where does he go? What does he wear? What is the protocol?

He's never done this before...

Has Ash dated before? Does he know what he's doing?

Gou can feel a headache coming on...

Something else he has to get his head around...

Could this prove too much?