Chapter Twenty Four: I'm Just So Lucky!

The time is 00:32. It's dark. Gou is lying wide awake in bed. Ash is asleep on the mattress on the floor. Lightly snoring.

Gou stares at the ceiling thinking over the days events. He's so lucky to have parents who love and accept him. He's so lucky to have Ash. All the good things that have happened recently are all because of him. He just wishes he understood it all before he did. All that time spent kidding himself. Trying to be someone he wasn't. How he wished he realised that he was stopping himself being happy. Such a complete waste of energy. It made him miserable. But then...perhaps he needed to do that. Perhaps that mental anguish was required in order to fully understand. In order to fully grasp it all. The point is...he's happy.

He rolls over to peer at Ash sound asleep.

"Ash..." Gou whispers.

"Ash..." He whispers slightly louder.

"Mmgggnnn..." Ash groans.

"Aaassshhh..." He says again.

"W..hh..aa...t?" Ash groggily responds.

"I need to tell you something..."
"C...an't it wait...till morning?" Ash exhales.

"No...I need to tell you now. Wake up." Gou insists.

After a few moments, Ash eventually rolls over, opens his eyes and looks up at Gou's smiling face.

"What is it?" Ash asks with a huge yawn rubbing his eyes.

"I'm really happy." Gou tells him.

"What?" Ash yawns again.

"I'm really happy." Gou repeats. "I'm really happy with how my life is now. I'm really happy I met you. I'm really happy I'm with you."

Ash looks at him with a smile. He leans over and plants a kiss lightly on Gou's lips. "I'm really happy I'm with you too. And I'm really happy you're happy."

Gou just smiles.

"OK. If that's all. Goodnight." Ash declares, yawning then turning his back to Gou to fall asleep again.

Gou continues to stare. He can't stop smiling.

"I love you, Ash." Gou whispers very very quietly so that Ash doesn't hear him.

"I love you too." Ash responds. "Now try and get some sleep"

Gou's face turns bright red, lies back and puts his hands over his eyes. He can't believe it. The first time he's ever said 'I love you' and Ash heard him. He was being so quiet and Ash still heard him. Ash has super human hearing and it's so embarrassing that he heard him.

But then, Ash said it back. That's the most important part, isn't it? He loves him too. There's nothing bad about it. It's all positive, and Gou is so glad and grateful for it.

He pulls the bed covers over his face and closes his eyes. The smile still fixed on his face.

Tomorrow is a new day. Tomorrow is the start of what could be a bright future...with Ash. That thought makes Gou's heart grow.

"That'd be amazing..." Gou whispers.

"Gou...seriously...go to sleep" Ash groans.

Gou giggles to himself. "Sorry..."

**************************************************

"Gou!" Ash yells.

"Gou!" Ash repeats shaking him awake.

"What!? Why did you wake me!? I'm so tired!" Gou complains.

"Well, that's your fault for staying up so late!" Ash remarks.

"Go away!" Gou complains.

"Come on! Get up! Breakfast is ready!" Ash continues.

"Nope!" Gou responds. "Bed...too comfy...too tired...can't...get...up!"

"OK then..." Ash huffs.

Gou, satisfied that Ash has given up, wraps himself tightly in his bed covers and snuggles into it.

However, that feeling of bliss doesn't last long as Ash lunges onto the bed giving Gou the fright of his life.

"Ash! Seriously!" Gou complains.

"I told you to get up!" Ash chuckles.

"I hate you!" Gou replies hitting Ash over the head with a pillow.

"No you don't!" Ash laughs. "You love me! You said so last night!"

"I changed my mind!" Gou declares.

"Nope! Too late!" Ash cheers. "You love me! You love me!" Ash continues dancing out the door.

Gou just looks with an expression of annoyance. He should've known that Ash wouldn't give up so easily. But...he wouldn't want Ash to be any different. That's the Ash he fell in love with. That's the Ash he wants to be with.

"Gou! Come on!" Ash shouts.

Gou just shakes his head and chuckles to himself. He's some boy. But he's his boy. He loves him. And Ash loves him...

"I'm coming!"

And that's the best feeling in the world.