Chapter Seven: I Am Gou, Hear Me Roar!

(A/N) Hey guys, hears the next chapter. I hope you like it. Please remember to vote, follow and comment. Your feedback is very much appreciated. Thanks :) xx

It's a wet and windy day in Vermillion City. Our boys are in the livingroom watching TV. Mr Mime is sweeping. Pikachu and Raboot are playing. Ash and Gou are watching a Pokémon battle on TV. Well, only Ash is really watching it. Gou isn't quite interested in it, he's reading a book, but Ash is watching starry eyed. It's Leon, the undefeated champion of the Galar Region battling a challenger who has made it to the final.

"Wow! Leon is so amazing! I wish I could battle him!" Ash says excitedly.

"Yeah..." Gou replies in monotone.

"Come on, Gou! Don't you think he's amazing?" Ash nags unsatisfied by Gou's answer.

"Yeah...sure." Gou responds once again in monotone.

Ash stares for a moment...

"OK Gou!" Ash starts while switching the TV off. "What's going on with you?"

"Wha-what do you mean?" Gou asks with a sense of panic.

"You've been acting really weird for a while now. You've not been yourself. What's going on?" Ash asks.

"Nothing..." Gou replies looking back down at his book.

"Tell me! What's wrong? What's going on with you?" Ash pries.

"Honestly. I'm fine." Gou says stubbornly.

"You're lying!" Ash says sternly.

Gou looks up directly at Ash now, closing over his book. He says nothing.

"Gou! Seriously! Somethings not right with you. I can tell. Talk to me!" Ash continues.

"There's nothing to talk about." Gou insists.

"So, there is something?" Ash prods.

"Where are you getting this?" Gou quizzes.

"You've been moody, you've been more argumentative, you've been completely down. You've just not been... You!" Ash explains.

"Oh and you know me, do you!?" Gou sternly responds starting to get a bit irritated.

"There! You're doing it again! This isn't you!" Ash repeats.

"And what's it to you!" Gou jibes, standing up. His book dropping to the floor. "You don't know me! You know nothing about me! My life is my business! It has absolutely nothing to do with you! NOTHING!" Gou shrieks.

Ash looks in shock. He doesn't know who this person is, but it's not Gou.

"You know what! I've gotta get outta here, I can't be in the same room with you!" Gou yells storming out of the room.

Gou opens the front door and slams it behind him. The rain is pouring but he doesn't care. He just needs to escape. Without a plan or a sense of direction, he just runs.

He runs and runs and runs. Tears flowing down his face, getting mixed in with the rain. These feelings are crushing him. He's slowly losing control of his emotions. He can't go on like this. He doesn't want to accept these feelings. He wants to reject them once and for all. He doesn't want them. He never asked for this.

*********************
After running for so long, without realising it, Gou ends up at the top of the cliff that overlooks Vermillion City on the right and the sea on the left. Despite the heavy rain and wind, the view is still beautiful. The never ending sea looks calming. The tall buildings filled with people. Each with their own stories.

Gou just...looks out. The rain has completely drenched him. He looks down, off the cliff. The waves crashing into the side of it and against the rocks below. How easy it would be to just...step off. It would mean he wouldn't have to deal with his problem. He wouldn't need to face Ash. He could just disappear. He lifts his left foot and slowly takes a step closer to the edge. "It would be so easy..." He mumbles. "It would make things so much easier if I just...stepped off...disappear from this world...the relief...how freeing it would be..."

He's at the edge now. His tears falling like the rain. He's gonna do it. Just needs to lift his foot again, and take one more step. Then it'll all be over.

He closes his eyes. He's taking that step. Almost there. As he slowly moves forward, he suddenly feels someone grab his right arm. He opens his eyes and looks round.

"Ash..." he says in a solemn tone.

With tears running down his cheeks: "What are you doing!?" Ash blubbers. "Why are you trying to walk off the edge?"

"I..." is all that Gou can say.

"Why are you doing this? What's going on?" Ash cries.

"..." Gou just stares at him.

"Gou! Please talk to me!" Ash pleads.

"I can't..." Gou replies.

"Why not!? We were getting on really well. Then all of a sudden you just...changed. I don't understand why. Did I do something wrong? Because if I did, please tell me." Ash begs.

"You didn't do anything..." Gou responds.

"Then why are you doing this? You're obviously feeling sad. Why can't you tell me?" Ash continues.

"I just...can't. Please...I just can't!" Gou blubbers.

"Gou..." Ash cries. "Please! Please come home!"

Gou looks at Ash. They are both in complete tears. He turns and slowly starts to walk away from the edge. Ash suddenly pulls him into a hug. He squeezes Gou tightly. Gou is a little shocked but really likes it. He likes that Ash cares so much. It feels nice.

"I don't understand and I don't get why you don't want to tell me. Just...please don't ever try anything like that again...I don't know what I'd do if you...if I..." Ash cries, not able to finish his sentence.

Gou slowly brings his arms around Ash, and sinks into Ash's hug. Both are crying as the rain continues to pour. The rain acting as the perfect metaphor for how they were both feeling. Even though it's cold, Ash's body heat is keeping Gou warm.

They continue to hug. Ash not moving a muscle until Gou is ready. Gou not ready to let go. Both still crying. Gou stares blankly ahead. He nearly did the unthinkable. All because of how he is feeling.

This can't continue...