Chapter Twenty Two: This Is What Happiness Is, Isn't It?

After what was definitely an emotional trip to the Alola Region, our pair have returned back to the Kanto Region. It is clearly obvious to everyone that Gou and Ash are not the same after coming back. They see two boys very much in love.

Gou has noticed a difference in the atmosphere and there's no doubt Ash has noticed too (although, it's Ash so, perhaps he hasn't). Regardless, Gou, doesn't care if people stare or scoff. He's actually happy. He feels things that he didn't think he was capable of. He's living in a romantic story. He can't stop smiling. He finds himself staring at Ash when they work, and he stares back with a smile. There's laughter, there's love, there's kissing. It's just bliss.

They hold hands everywhere they go. There have been several dates. This relationship is in full swing now and Gou is proud of it.

Quite a bit of time has passed now. Gou is facing a bit of a conundrum. His parents have been begging him to come home for a few days, just for a visit. He's been putting it off, although he wants to go. But, he would like to bring Ash and introduce him to them. The problem is...his parents obviously don't know the situation and he isn't sure how they'd react. Plus, he isn't sure if Ash would want to go. The nerves have returned.

"Come on Gou! Just do it!" Gou tells himself as he hesitates to push the call button. "Do it you coward!"

With his eyes firmly closed, Gou pushes the call button and places the receiver to his ear.

*brrr...brrr...brrr... Hello?*

"Oh...hey mum!" Gou starts.

"Oh! Gou! How good to hear from you! How is everything?" His Mum asks.

"Yeah...everything is fine. I'm just calling about coming home for a few days like you said." Gou responds.

"Oh yes! Yes! Of course! That'd be great! How about this weekend?" His Mum asks with excitement.

"Yeah! That's fine!" Gou replies.

"Great! Your Father and I are looking forward to it..."

"Uhm..." Gou interrupts.

"What is it?" His Mum asks.

"It's just...I was wandering if...I could bring someone?" Gou stutters forcing out the words.

"Oh? Is this a special someone?" His Mum asks slyly.

"Well uhm... Yeah..." Gou responds.

"Wow! That's great Gou! What's her name?" She asks.

Her name. Her name. There is no her. He's a he. He feels he should be slightly insulted that she's assumed it's a 'her', but, why would she assume otherwise?

"Well actually, mum... It's a he. His name is Ash!" Gou explains.

"Oh...I see...so, this is the Ash from the lab?" She enquires.

"Yeah! It is!" Gou responds, trying to control his breathing. His stomach is doing turns out of nerves.

"Well...OK...bring him. It'll be nice to meet him!" His Mum stutters.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes! Yes! Bring him!" She insists. "I'll need to go. I have some errands to run. We will see you and Ash this weekend!"

"OK Mum. See you then!" Gou replies before hanging up.

He feels a bit uneasy with his Mums answer. But then, why shouldn't she be surprised? He probably shouldn't have told her so nonchalantly. He knew he was going to mess this up in someway. However, what's done is done. He now needs to ask Ash to come. Probably should've asked him first.

Gou heads to the kitchen where Ash is eating breakfast...

"Hey uhm... Ash?" Gou stutters.

"What's up?" Ash asks with a mouthful of food.

"Are you...doing anything at the weekend?" Gou enquires.

"Well...I assumed I'd be with you but...why?" Ash responds with curiosity.

"Well...I'm actually going home to stay with my parents for the weekend" Gou replies.

"Oh that's nice." Ash replies. Although Gou can see the slight disappointment on his face. It's actually cute.

"Well, actually, I was wandering if you'd come with me?" Gou asks nervously looking at his shoes.

"To meet your parents?" Ash asks with a bit of surprise.

Gou just nods. Thinking Ash might say no. Which is fine. It might be a little too soon, anyway. Although, it might be a little embarrassing turning up at his parents without Ash. But again, he should've asked Ash first.

"Sure!" Ash suddenly responds.

"What!?" Gou replies in shock.

"I'll come with you!" Ash explains.

"Are you sure?" Gou asks. "I mean, you'd be meeting my parents!"

"Well, my options are: 1. Go with you to your parents, which yes, is a big deal and a bit scary. Or 2. Not see you at all this weekend. So, I'd rather go to your parents and be with you than not be with you at all." Ash explains.

Gou just looks at him. "You're so cute!" He blurts out.

Ash just laughs.