Chapter Twenty Three: Meeting The Parents

Today is a very nerve-wracking day. Gou is going home to visit his parents for a couple of days, which isn't always something he wants to do, but he's bringing Ash with him. Not as his friend, but as his boyfriend.

Boyfriend. That sounds a little weird. Not a word Gou thought he'd ever say. Although it does have a nice ring to it. It maybe causes him to crack a smile.

"We ready to go?" Gou asks Ash.

"Yep! Let's do this!" Ash responds. "Let's go, buddy!" He gestures to Pikachu who follows.

They're taking the bus to Gou's flat.

Gou can't stop shaking. He's so nervous. He hates that Ash looks so calm. He looks almost excited about it. Why!? Why isn't he nervous!? He should be!

It's annoying!

He looks out the window, watching the streets of Vermilion City wizz by. It's not helping. The anticipation is giving him jippy leg.

Suddenly, he feels a warm hand clasping his. He looks over and sees Ash smiling at him. It automatically calms him down. Like magic.

"You OK?" Ash asks.

"I am now!" Gou responds. "Oh! This is our stop!"

Our pair get off the bus. They stare at the large block of flats before them.

"That's mine! The 7th floor!" Gou points.

"Cool!" Ash answers. "Well, shall we head inside?"

"Yeah...I guess!" Gou exhales.

"What's wrong?" Ash asks.

"I'll be honest, I'm nervous!" Gou mumbles. "I don't know how they'll be...with you. I mean, they know you're coming but Mum was quite surprised on the phone when I asked to bring you..."

"Wait...did they know you were gay before that phone call?" Ash enquires.

"N...no..." Gou stutters. "I mean...gay was not mentioned during the phone call. She asked for the name of my special someone referring to a girl and I told her it was a boy."

"Well, of course she'd be surprised. I mean, you could've been a bit more sensitive about it." Ash explains.

"Excuse me, Mr sensitive! Does your Mum know that you're gay and about me!?" Gou quizzes with a growl.

"Well...she doesn't not know!" Ash replies shifty eyed.

"What does that mean?" Gou asks.

"She has known from the very beginning! I told her about my crush on you when we first met. I told her I was going to confess in Alola. I told her when we officially became a couple. And she's extremely happy about it!" Ash chuckles.

Gou just stares at him. Seriously? Ash is so upfront with everything.

"Damn you! You cute bastard! Let's go!" Gou instructs as he starts walking up the path. Ash just laughs following shortly behind.

They enter the building and take the lift to the 7th floor. Approaching the door, Gou stops for a moment and takes a few deep breaths.

"It'll be fine." Ash reassures rubbing Gou's shoulders

Gou nods. Exhales and opens the door.

"Hello! We're here!" Gou shouts.

Gou's Mum appears from the kitchen.

"Oh Gou! You're here!" She says walking towards them with a smile.

"Hi Mum!"

"You must be Ash! It's nice to meet you!" She says to Ash.

"And you must be Pikachu!" She says petting him causing him to shriek happily.

"It's nice to meet you too! Thank you so much for having me!" Ash responds.

"Not at all! It's nice that Gou has brought someone home!" She grins.

"Where's Dad?" Gou asks.

"He's picking up dinner. We decided to have a takeaway tonight as a treat!" Gou's mum responds.

"Awesome!" Ash cheers.

"Don't just stand there, come in make yourself at home!" Gou's Mum gestures.

**********************************
Gou and Ash sit on the couch as Gou's Mum makes tea. The butterfrees in Gou's stomach are back. It's nerve-wracking introducing Ash to his Mum but to his Dad too. He could already sort of imagine his Mum being OK with it but his Dad is a different story. He's the wild card. The unknown. The anticipation is killing him.

"Gou..." Ash says clasping Gou's hand. "It'll be fine. Just relax."

Gou just nods.

*Sound of front door opening and closing*

"I'm back!" Gou's Dad yells from the hallway.

This is it.

"Who's hungry!?" Gou's Dad jibes as he appears from the hallway.

"Ah!" He says with a more solumn tone. "You must be Ash!"

"Yes, sir! I am. Thank you for having me!" Ash confirms.

Gou's Dad just nods and walks towards the kitchen area with the food.

"Oh well, tea can wait then since dinner is here!" Gou's Mum laughs.

"Mmm...." Gou grumbles.

"What is it?" Ash asks.

"Dad's reaction concerns me a little." Gou responds.

"It'll be fine! Trust me! We'll get through this!" Ash says for the thousandth time.

Gou knows Ash is trying to help but it's not. Gou is going to feel this way until the weekend is over.
************************************
Our pair along with Gou's parents eat dinner. Pikachu and Raboot are eating their own food and entertaining themselves. There is light conversation going back and forth between all parties but Gou still feels a bit of tension in the air. Will they definitely accept him for who he is? Will they accept Ash?

"I must admit Gou. I was quite surprised when you asked to bring someone with you." Gou's Mum suddenly says.

"Why?" Gou enquires.

"Well...you never seemed to be interested in other people. You didn't really bother with having friends, apart from Chloe. You were so obsessed with researching Pokémon that it came as quite a shock when you said you wanted to bring someone." Gou's Mum explains.

"Yeah...I guess so..." Gou mutters.

"Of course I was even more surprised when you said it was...well, a boy. I sort of thought you and Chloe would maybe become an item." Gou's Mum chuckles.

"I didn't..." Gou's Dad says finally chiming in.

"What?" Gou jolts.

"Don't get me wrong. Chloe is a lovely girl and has been a great friend to you but I don't agree with your Mum. I never thought you two would become an item." Gou's Dad responds.

"Really?" Gou replies.

"Yeah! Ash seems more the type of person who would be a good fit for you." Gou's Dad explains.

Ash sits there trying not to smile. He's definitely accepting that as a compliment.

"So...you're OK with this? With...me...us?" Gou stutters.

"Of course I am. We both are!" Gou's Dad insists.

"Yes! Of course! Why wouldn't we be!?" Gou's Mum adds.

"As long as your happy, Gou! And it seems to us that you are." Gou's Dad continues.

"Yes!" Gou starts trying to stop the tears from falling:

"I am...

Thank you!"