Chapter Seventeen

Cleo

I try to calm Garret down as he paces in front of Landon and I. Furs sprouting from his back as he tries to rein in his bear.

"Why weren't you with your mate?" Landon asks the first question weighing on my mind. Most mates don't leave their sides for the first little bit, for some it can even hurt.

Garret hangs his head, planting his face into his palm. "I sent her away." He lets out a roar. "I lost my first mate and now because I didn't accept her my second mate is going to die too." I can sense the pain radiating off of him.

I had no clue he had a previous mate. But I had a feeling I knew how he'd lost her: I feel ashamed of my breed. It's the reason I had wanted Landon to save the brown bear.

Garret takes a deep breath before continuing. "Harley couldn't stay away though. One day we went looking for her. I knew Harley would find her scent. We found her, just at the border between the tiger and the panthers kingdom."

Garret's fist clenched as he tells us the rest. "Right as she was crossing the border Zeus jumped out with three other men, shouting about how he recognized my scent on her. Before I knew it all 5 of them disappeared."

"Like magic?" Caleb asks.

"Yes."

"So Zeus now has witches in his little rogue pack."

Garret nods his head.

"Thank you for trusting me with this, we will get her back safely and knowing he has a witch on his side explains a lot." Landon claps Garret on the back. "Let's go to my office and coordinate with King Taylor and Caleb."

Landon makes sure to look at me when he speaks. Adding 'That includes you.' just for me.

The three of us shift into our animals, and make our way back to the house.

We get back to the house at the same time as five other wolves race from the other side to meet up with us.

I instantly recognize the wolves. Landon seemed to put a lot of faith in them, and I could see why.

Landon urges my fox to just walk into the house, while nudity is normal for a shifter, he was an Alpha and they were over protective.

That meant he didn't like eyes on my naked human form.

He has to shift to get through the front door.

Now that we're in the house I can shift back, the other wolves had used the outside entrance to the office.

I grab some clothing we had hidden around the living room for emergencies. Tossing a pair of sweat pants over to my mate before I slide a pair of Jean shorts on and another of Landon's shirts over my head.

I start walking down the hallway to the office, but Landon stops me. Pulling my back against his chest as his lips kiss down my neck, stopping on his mark.

A shiver runs down my spine as he whispers against my skin. "You look so sexy in my shirt."

He places one more soft kiss on his mark before releasing his hold on my waist. Instead he holds my hand, pulling me behind him to the office while I'm still dazed.