Chapter 3: Neville's accomplishment

Third Person P.O.V.

"Into greenhouse 3, please, class." Professor Sprout called. The 2nd year Gryffindors had Herblogy with the Hufflepuffs this period, and everyone seemed pleased with the fact that they were using greenhouse 3. That is everyone except Ronald Weasley.

"Greenhouse three?" Ron half asked half whined, "We've never been to greenhouse three. Plus, that's for more advanced Herbology."

"Oh shut up, will you!" Hermione slapped the back of his head. They entered greenhouse three to find twenty different-colored earmuffs lined across the bench. Harry took his place with Ron and Hermione. Once everyone had taken their spots, Professor Sprout explained what would be happening today.

"Today we will be reporting Mandrakes. Now, who can tell me the properties of the Mandrake?" Professor Sprout informed. To no one's surprise Hermione's hand shot up.

"Ms. Granger." Professor Sprout called on the young witch.

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is a powerful restorative," Hermione said, sounding, as usual, as if she had swallowed a textbook, "It is used to return people who have been transferred or cursed back to their original state."

"Excellent. Ten points to Gryffindor!" Professor Sprout awarded, "The Mandrake forms an essential part of most antidotes. It is also, however, extremely dangerous. Who can tell me why?"

Again, Hermione's hand shot up. The Head of Hufflepuff was about to call on her again, when to everyone's surprise, Neville Longbottom's hand began to rise.

"Go ahead, Mr. Longbottom." Professor Sprout encouraged the shy boy.

"T-the Mandrake's cry is fatal to everyone who hears it, ma'am, t-that is unless they are young." Neville said, shilly.

"Precisely, Mr. Longbottom. Another ten points for Gryffindor." Sprout said with a small clap, "And for overcoming your shyness, take another ten, Mr. Longbottom."

The Gryffindors began to clap their encouragement to Neville, the Hufflepuffs soon joined in as they cheered on what used to be the boy who never spoke in class.

"Now," the class's cheers died down as Professor Sprout continued the lesson, "as the Mandrakes we have here are still seedlings, they won't kill you yet."

She pointed to a row of deep trays as she spoke. Green leaves were sticking out of the pots, and the Mandrakes, to Harry, looked like ordinary muggle plants.

"But they could knock you out for several hours." she continued, "Which is why a pair of earmuffs have been placed in the boxes at the back. Now,when you go and get a pair, please do be careful of the Venomous Tentacula, its teething. Off you go now, go get a pair of earmuffs,"-a few students began running to the boxes at the back- "sensibly please!"

Everyone bagan rushing to the boxes at the back, as to not get a pair of the pink fluffy ones. Harry and Ron dug their hands into the box and pulled out a pair each. Harry got a pair with a brilliant shade of blue, whereas Ron got an ugly shade of brown.

"Oh come on." he whined, "how have you two got such good ones?" Hermione had gotten a nice scarlet pair, which she brought back to their spot.

"When I tell you to put them one, make sure they are firmly on your ears, so as to not let a single sound come through. I will give you a thumbs up when it is safe to take them off. Right-earmuffs on." ther Herbology Professor explained. Everyone slapped their earmuffs on tight, and Professor Sprout was left with the pink and fluffy pair, which she seemed pleased with. She rolled up her sleeves, w'before grasping the plant and pulling hard.

To Harry's surprise, it was not roots that came out, but a ugly, brown plant-ish baby. Harry let out a gasp that no one could hear, as the baby yelled and cried. Professor Sprout held it up high, in order for everyone to see before dunking it into another pot. She took some compost soil and dumped it on top of the screaming plant, before it finally shut up. She gave a thumbs up and everyone removed their earmuffs.

"Now, as I explained, the cries of the Mandrakes won't kill you yet, however they will knock you out for several hours. And I'm sure none of you want to miss your first day back, so make sure to keep those earmuffs on properly while you work. I will draw your attention when it is time to pack up. Five a tray-there are lots of pots here-the compost soil is over there in the sacks"-she pointed to a row of sacks behind Neville-"Good luck, everyone!"

The Golden Trio was joined by Neville and a curly-haired Hufflepuff boy Harry had never spoken to but knew by sight.

"Justin Finch-Fletchley," he said brightly, shaking Harry's hand, "I know who you are, of course, one of the famous Potter kids, Harry Potter...You must be Hermione Granger, top at everything... (Hermione beamed at this and shook his hand, slightly over-excited) You're Ron Weasley, how's it like to live with so many siblings?" (Ron opened his mouth to answer, but Justin simply continued). And you're Neville Longbottom, shame what happened to your parents, really (Neville looked down at this, but shook his hand nevertheless)."

By the end of class, everyone was sweaty and covered in mud. The Gryffindors hurried to cleans themselves up a bit before hurrying to Transfiguration.

Professor McGonagall's classes were usually difficult, but today's was especially hard, at least that's what Harry and Ron thought. Their task was to turn beetles into buttons, but Harry and Ron were failing miserably. The only thing Harry managed to accomplish was getting his beetle some exercise as it scurried across the table, avoiding his wand.

Ron's problems were far worse than Harry's. He had patched up his wand with some borrowed Spellotape, but it seemed to be damaged beyond repair. After having been sent, and seen people being sent, enough Howlers during his time at Hogwarts, he didn't want to risk another, no matter how much Hermione and Harry encouraged him to do so. Everytime he attempted to transfigure the beetle, he would get engulfed in a thick cloud of black smoke that smelt of rotten eggs and worse. He accidentally smashed his beetle and killed it, and therefore had to ask for a new one. In short, McGonagall wasn't pleased.

At lunch, Ron's foul mood was not improved by Hermione showing Kai the perfect buttons she had produced in the previous lesson. Kai showed Hermione and Harry the new charm she had learned with Flitwick, as Ron didn't want to talk to anyone.

Kai scutched over to Neville and whispered in his ear, "Did you do it?" He nodded, and she gave him a side hug, "Way to go, Neville!" she said in his ear. She had been helping the shy boy get over his shyness and was thrilled to see he had made such a big step.