Chapter 5

"C'mon don't be a little pussy."

"I just don't see a reason as to why I must go with you on that — thing," I say looking at it again, it's nice to look at but to actually ride in it? And Louise being the one driving of all people, no thank you.

"To save gas."

"We can save gas on my car."

"Will you really pass on the chance of riding this baby?" she asks, looking at me like I'm crazy.

"I'm not a teen anymore, funky cars don't excite me."

"But this one will."

"You're the type of kid that always gets what they want, aren't you?" I groan, opening the door to the passenger seat.

"Only when the other person also wants it but is in denial," she smiles, showing her teeth, indeed like a kid that has just gotten what they wanted.

The drive was absolutely dreadful, my hair was everywhere, and I could barely tell her the directions with all the wind blowing in my face but, we did make it to our destination alive, somehow.

"I'm getting a cab back," I say, squinting my eyes at her while trying to rearrange my hair that has gotten absolutely crazy.

"I've never seen it like that — so wild," she smirks. "In a good way, of course."

"Whatever, we're here," I say, already walking to the entrance.

"A bar?" she asks, following close behind me.

"Is that a real question?"

"Ok, what are we doing here exactly? Don't tell me this is it."

"This is it."

"A bar, that's pretty boring."

"It's not the bar, you asked what made my heart race," I say walking to one of the pool tables. "Competition." I complete, grabbing one of the cues.

"Are you dueling me?" she asks teasingly. "What do I win?"

"My respect, no one has ever beaten me in an 8-ball game."

"And what do you win?"

"That's up to me to decide at the end of the game," I smile, I can tell by the shift in her eyes that she's trying to contain her excitement.

"I must warn you that I'm pretty good too," she says in an attempt at reclaiming the upper hand, but her voice doesn't sound as confident.

"You seem scared," I joke, watching her pick a cue for herself.

"Never in a million years, I'll make you eat your words."

"Then please, you can be the one breaking the balls," I say, taking the triangle off the center, where the balls stood.

"How kind."

She has a decent technique and she's able to actually sink one of the balls, a striped one, therefore claiming it. However, not decent enough to win.

"C'mon," she groans, it's the 4th time she has missed an easy ball.

"So you are nervous," I tease her, getting into position and shooting the 8-ball right into the pocket. "This ended fairly quickly, quite embarrassing for someone that boasted about their abilities."

"I'm a little rusty, one more round and I'll show you," she says in an amused tone, not really believing it herself but not wanting to end the game just yet.

"Fine, but you have to buy me a drink, any soda is fine."

"Deal."

Five rounds and five sodas later, she finally admits defeat. I don't know how math works in her head, but it was pretty obvious who the winner was by the second round.